New Clowns

B

billb

Hello folks...never been to this part of the forum before. Nice to see it's a specialty area.
I picked up two clowns this weekend(Friday) from an LFS/Friend. They are a pair True Perks. The story is he got them from our local University which is/was doing a study on breeding clowns. (University of Maine, for those interested) He had quite a price tag on them, but they hadn't sold yet and he owed me a favor. I wasn't really buying them to breed but...what the heck, I bought a copy of Joyce Wilkersons book, just in case. He has had the fish for about a month or more and they never hosted anything.. Being tank raised I didn't think they ever would either, and it really doesn't make any difference anyway. I was quite surprised this afternoon to see them (one of them actually) try to host a few things, while the other stood right by... First the Green Star Polyps, then the Flower Pot, and finally with success..my Green Bubble Tip! It seems that only one wants to bury itself in the GBT, while the other stands guard. When the one in the GBT comes back out, the other one nudges it on the belly. Is this behavior pretty normal? I think it sorta tells me they are happy (eating very well, too)...just wondering for any input...
thanks for looking...
Bill

itchy

Hi Bill, Clowns have odd behavior anyway. They are quiet amusing to watch. I can not say wether they will or will not spawn but having a place they like to host in is a good start. There are several people on here who have babies all the time while others can not get so lucky. Hopefully someone else will post to give you a better idea. I have 2 pairs and would love see one if not both of them spawn. Good Luck

B

billb

thanks..
yup they are cool little guys..I used to have a pair a long time ago (false perks) and they were fun. I doubt these guys would even attempt to spawn since they are in their second new home in two months, and I bet it would be that long again, if they did bother to spawn. I have placed a ceramic tile in their area (they sleep next to the GBT) and I have the tile semi-verticle next to them. I'd like them to get used to their new home with all the trimmings right away so that if they do decide to do anything later on, I won't stress them out by changing their area. They should be nice and comfy.. I guess now I'll just keep up with my reading and such. Even if they don't spawn, I'll be at least a little knowledgeable about the subject. It's all a big science project to me anyway and I enjoy it whatever the outcome...

Bill

Just thought you guys would like to see some pics of my baby clowns. They range from 70 days to 30 days old I also have a batch that are 20 days old and a batch that will hatch in 6 days..