new coral 6-pack

razoreqx

Originally posted by MR. Tuna
Very nice!!
What is that coral under the anthias?

4 is my favorite.. Nice eye candy!!

dburr

#3 is very hairy, to take a stab, a pocipillapora. ( I spelled that way wrong:eek: ) I think they grow more blunted tho.

dburr

It looks like digitata to me
At first I thought the same thing, but they don't have the clear hairs that this does. I have only seen them on the pocis.

S

spsaddict

thats not a pocci- imo it almost looks like acropora elegans.... can you get a macro of the coralites for me

banshee

I looked all of those guesses up. I don't think it is any of those. I will try to get a better pic tomorrow...but I think that's the best I can do with my camera.
#2 is Blue Lollypop Tunicate or Blue Palm Tunicate (Nephtheis fascicularis).
The coral under the anthia is a branching hammer.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by Banshee
3...can anyone ID this? It came on some live rock.

It's a Millepora sp. -- I'm 110% sure. The Millepora sp. is commonly known as the "fire coral," although the "coral" is truly a hydrozoan.
At first I thought the same thing, but they don't have the clear hairs that this does. I have only seen them on the pocis.
The genre Pocillopora will have a "fuzzy" appearence due to the dense polyp extention rather than thin hair-like nematocysts.
thats not a pocci- imo it almost looks like acropora elegans.... can you get a macro of the coralites for me
A. elegans will not come on liverock shipments. The A. elegans is a deeper water Acroporid. Liverock is collected and/or cultured in shallow water due to its simplicity to raise and collect. A. elegans will also have some corallite structure, unlike that of the picture.
maybe acropora simplex...
See my response to A. elegans above.
To repeat myself, It's a Millepora sp. Do a search in google for either Fire Coral or Millepora sp.
Graham

S

spsaddict

Originally posted by SPSfreak100
To repeat myself, It's a Millepora sp. Do a search in google for either Fire Coral or Millepora sp.
Graham

i was just looking at my text book, i cant believe i missed fire coral..... aye that is what it is