New coral! Not sure what it is.

crabbychris

Man i have been nuying all kinds of stuff from my lfs but the guy doesn't really know what they are called. Hey what can you do? It's the only lfs in town that sells more than just fish. What is this thing?

t316

Anthailia (not sure on the spelling). It's very pretty to watch as it flows in the tank, but watch out, it spreads like a bad rumor.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2957294
Anthailia (not sure on the spelling). It's very pretty to watch as it flows in the tank, but watch out, it spreads like a bad rumor.
+1 on Anthelia. It is suggested that you don't allow it to attach to your rock as it will grow like a weed. Place it in the sandbed unless you want a tank full of it.

t316

Originally Posted by JerryAtrick
http:///forum/post/2957840
+1 on Anthelia. It is suggested that you don't allow it to attach to your rock as it will grow like a weed. Place it in the sandbed unless you want a tank full of it.
That is excellent advice. Unfortunately nobody told me this, so I have it growing all over rocks. If you have it confined to the sandbed, you can still enjoy it yet easily keep it from infesting your entire rock work. Once it ever starts on the rocks, it's very difficult to totally eradicate it.

thebeadlady

Anthelia for sure I have one about 1/2 high with 3 babies on a small rock.....I've decided to keep it on the sand the only part is it also has 1 green zoa on it ....wish I could get the zoa off of the rock ...any one know if I should try....

vishnuborg

Originally Posted by thebeadlady
http:///forum/post/2961184
Anthelia for sure I have one about 1/2 high with 3 babies on a small rock.....I've decided to keep it on the sand the only part is it also has 1 green zoa on it ....wish I could get the zoa off of the rock ...any one know if I should try....
Yes, you should try! Just use your index finger and thumb, and gently nudge the polyp WITHOUT SQUISHING IT. it should shrink, and float away. Now quickly, using a plastic cup, catch it, and seal the opening with your hand. You don't even have to wear gloves if it hasn't grown on a mat. If it has, no luck. You can glue most zoas, especially radioactive dragon eyes, with super glue gel.

redsea

Originally Posted by CRABBYCHRIS
http:///forum/post/2957286
Man i have been nuying all kinds of stuff from my lfs but the guy doesn't really know what they are called. Hey what can you do? It's the only lfs in town that sells more than just fish. What is this thing?

looks nice!

thebeadlady

Yes, you should try! Just use your index finger and thumb, and gently nudge the polyp WITHOUT SQUISHING IT. it should shrink, and float away. Now quickly, using a plastic cup, catch it, and seal the opening with your hand. You don't even have to wear gloves if it hasn't grown on a mat. If it has, no luck. You can glue most zoas, especially radioactive dragon eyes, with super glue gel.
I've read on here and other sites that you can use super glue gel to frag many different soft corals, Do you all mean the superglue that glues your fingers together? Isn't it kinda toxic? Or is there some special aquarium super glue gel?
I think that you think that the anthelia will eventually swallow up the zoa and this is why I should get it off the rock.
OOO I also wanted to know if anyone has had a blue leg crab or pom pom crab eat up aptasia? or a feather duster.....The aptasia on this rock is gone and I had a feather duster that had no casing so I put in in the sand so it had something to work with...after 2 days...no worm.

vishnuborg

Originally Posted by thebeadlady
http:///forum/post/2965957
I've read on here and other sites that you can use super glue gel to frag many different soft corals, Do you all mean the superglue that glues your fingers together? Isn't it kinda toxic? Or is there some special aquarium super glue gel?
I think that you think that the anthelia will eventually swallow up the zoa and this is why I should get it off the rock.
OOO I also wanted to know if anyone has had a blue leg crab or pom pom crab eat up aptasia? or a feather duster.....The aptasia on this rock is gone and I had a feather duster that had no casing so I put in in the sand so it had something to work with...after 2 days...no worm.
Really any super glue that says "warning: contains cyanoacrylate" is good enough to glue most corals down safely. It's just that sometimes more sensitive corals, or corals that haven't much adjusted get "burned" by the super glue when the glue contracts, and can suffer from severe pinch wounds. I glued my recent zoa frag with Loctite Super Glue Control Gel. That is the same type of super glue gel that many people work with in crafting products. It doesn't run, and it hardens even under water, so you don't have to worry about a curing time. It also glues your fingers together. Next time you go to a stationary store, look for super glue gel. If it is of any quality, it contains cyanoacrylate, an organic compound. It should say so on the warning panel, because it is a cause of allergic reaction. Also, I believe that you should move the zoa polyp, because a polyp can reach its full potential more quickly when it is undisturbed and in an open area. It will also start a larger colony on open rock, because it will have more area to spread, and if it grows another polyp or two, it will be harder to move.
P.S. I had a blue leg hermit crab in the same tank as a reasonably small feather duster, and it liked to hang around near it, but it never bothered or ate it, even if it climbed over the worm's exposed surface.
P.P.S. I have been wrong on a couple subjects before. Don't take my advice if you highly doubt it, but do a little internet research on your own first.