new Coral tank

bungles

Ok i got my 42 gal Hex tank up and going. Built my LR up used PVC and plastic grating from drop ceiling lights works great. Added Proper Salt/Water to fill the tank. Put in live rock, added Pink Fiji live sand. had my heater and circulation pump already going. Stayed cloudy for a few days. Turned on my old filter just to clear the water did it over night. Switching to my new Aqueon Filter Tomrw. I want to keep corals and a couple of fish 2 clowns, and a wrasse. Any other ideas for fish or inverts? Also Bought the Kent Marine Reef Starter (Iodide,Strontium&Molybdenum,Liquid Calcium) when should i start adding these? Doing a 10% water change tomrw. ALso have a nice sponge from another tank with good bacteria on it submerged. I was looking at reef starter kits on this site any suggestions?
Any other tips would be great.

handbanana

Hey there!
What kind of lighting are you using? Thats a fairly deep tan so some decent lights are going to be needed for coral propagation. You could build the rock work up closer to the surface but be sure to reinforce that egg crate if you do so. it can be very brittle.
you've been through your cycle?

flower

Do not add additives unless you test for them FIRST
and they are needed. Too much and you poison your tank.
You do not have enough rock yet. That is not the way to build your rock up, take the grating out. Build your rock on top of rock, twist gently each piece…You will feel it “lock” into place with the other rocks. Build your rock about half way up the tank towards the back, leaving enough room on the sides where you can get a mag float past it to clean the glass.
The grating should have gone under the rock to protect the glass bottom if you were going to use it. The grating should be a flat bottom to set the rock on. Sand goes in after the rock…just push it out of the way when you add more. I personally don’t use grating at all, but you can’t use it the way you did…it will collapse killing your critters or braking the tank, it is way too brittle to be used that way.

bungles

ok thanks i have the pvc under the LR so it is not on the glass. its been up for a week or so. I will be getting a 150 Watt HQI clamp on light. Yes i know of the cycle no it hasnt cycled yet. ok a couple other sites ive been on used the Grating like i did. Thanks for the warning ill put some mmore supports under it.