New Coral

enomadra

Yea if anyone has any suggestions on how to take care of this coral I would love to hear them. I have this same coral, and it looked like that when I first got it. but now it has no tenticles. It will open and close from time to time but just does not look as good as this one.

nicky1.8t

ok i have had one for some time now and i have had nothing but good luck with it knock on wood. i hear it best for them to be placed in the subtrate, and make sure they are standing up not laying down. i feed mine phytoplex and silver sides weekly. i think it is my favorite coral.what kind of lighting do you use i used to run 2 96watt pcs on my tank i just upgradded to 380watts of vho.

enomadra

Are silver sides squid??? I am currently running 200 watts on my tank (55 gallon 4'Lx 13"W 20"T). Every one (meaning all the corals) look good so far except for my elegant. OH and do you have to feed them???? I was told they could live off the light and zoo plex I but in the tank alone so I have not feed mine ever (other than the plankton I put in the water).

nicky1.8t

no there really small fish that are frozen . if your lfs sells frozen food they might have them. i think you could get away with justfeeding it dts/ phytoplex. best of luck with the elegacne your has killer color:D

nicky1.8t how long have you had this guy. I have heard that they do not survive past three months. Is this true anyone. ANyone had one past a year?

This is what I have found:
Description:
The Elegance coral is a common coral that normally rests in the substrate. This coral is probably the most popular stony coral because it is easy to care for. It comes in several different colors, and usually has bright pink tips that glow under blue or ultraviolet light.
Lighting - Water flow:
Although strong currents are not appreciated, some water movement is required. It requires medium to strong light. They can be fed occasionally.
Difficulty of Care:
This coral is easy to care for, it can be recommended to beginners.
Aggressiveness:
This coral sends out sweeper tentacles that can be quite strong. They will expand a surprising amount so leave plenty of room (at least 6 inches) around this coral.

[hr]

Elegance Coral
Name: Catalaphyllia jardinei
Care Current Lighting
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Hard Low Bright
A few years ago, this used to be among the hardiest of the corals, but this has changed recently in the hobby and many of the newer ones do not last past a few months in most aquaria. Some conjecture that this is due to the fact that this coral has been overfished in its previous shallow water collection zone, and now are being collected from deeper waters. The newer coral varieties usually have more purple and thinner "tentacles", and are reputed to be less hardy. Articles about this phenomenon have been written up on Reefs.org and some other sites. They are beautiful corals and this is a pity. They fluoresce bright green and do have a mouth, so they need to be fed (usually, BBS works well). They also have a very light sting and should not be kept immediately neighboring other corals, which they will bother all the time. I have also noted that my yellow tang has a preference for picking at the mouths of my two elegance corals, and do find this to be problematic. Buy them with caution and research first, I wish I had done more of it before I purchased mine, though both are alive and seem well so far.
Contributed by Cecilia Chen

Scientific Name: Catalaphyllia jardinei
Classification: LPS
Common Name: Elegance Coral
Description:
To the uninitiated, the Elegance coral looks a lot like an anemone. It has a cone-shaped base from which the large fleshy polyps and tentacles are extended during the day. The color is usually green or light brown with green high-lights and pink, yellow or blue tentacle tips. Elegance corals can grow fairly large and become the dominate specimen in a smaller tank.
Veron: Colonies are flabello-meandroid with straight edged septa forming wide V-shaped valleys. Valleys are evenly spaced and have sharp edged walls. Septa are widely spaced. There are no columellae. Polyps have large tubular tentacles extending from large fleshy oral discs. Forms satellite colonies (like the poritid Goniopora stokesi) in aquaria. Color is distinctive green with pink tentacle tips and a striped oral disc.
Natural Environment:
Veron: Occurs in protected, preferably turbid water.
Care:
Hardiness: Elegance coral is usually considered to be very hardy. There have been reports over the last 2 years or so that success with this coral is becoming less common and the reason why is not yet understood. Elegance will occasionally withdraw their tentacles and inflate their bodies into a contorted shape. This may be in an effort to expel waste products and should not be a cause for concern. If they remain like this for more than a couple of days, it may be a sign that they are not happy for some reason and you should investigate water conditions and verify that nothing is attacking the coral.
Lighting: Requires moderate to strong lighting.
Water Current: Elegance corals prefer low to moderate water flow. Optimum water flow is enough to lightly wave its tentacles. They will tolerate stronger water flows, but will expand less and the tentacles will become stubbier as shown in the picture to the right.
Temperature: Does well within a range of at least 75º to 84º F
Aggressiveness: High. The Elegance coral packs a fairly powerful sting and can expand greatly, so it is best to give it plenty of room to expand without coming into contact with other corals.
Feeding: Elegance coral is photosynthetic and requires no direct feeding, but an occasional feeding of shrimp or other meaty food up to once a week is appreciated.
Supplements: Maintaining correct calcium levels is important for skeletal development
Tank Positioning: Best positioning is normally in the bottom of the tank with the cone base embedded in the substrate as it is found in the wild. If tank lighting is low, it is acceptable to mount the coral up on the live rock closer to the lighting.

mebigloser

Thanks for all the info everyone, much appreciated.
nicky1.8t I am running 440 watts VHO that I just installed friday.

j21kickster

Elegance corals are not really that hard to take care of-i dont know why everyone seems to think they are- with the right light, current and some extra feedind they usually do well- unless something was wrong with it when you bought it.