New Cornsnakes!

viper_930

Just got my two new babies today!
Fedex messed up so they had to spend two night through shipping.
The dark colored one is a female okeetee heterozygous for amelanistic (reverse okeetee). And the light colored guy is a reverse okeetee. Once they mature I'll start breeding them and their brood should be half okeetee het amelanistic and the other half as reverse okeetees.
Enjoy the pics!

michaeltx

kewl pics I almost pic up a cornsnake like the lighter one you have but choose not to yet anyway..
Mike

mimzy

oooooooh, pretty!!! I've found that corn-snakes are the easiest to handle. Pythons are kewl and all, but they're so skittish. I've NEVER had an issue handling cornsnakes; they've got great temperaments.

tx reef

We have those all over the place where I live....they're very nice looking snakes.
I could actually go out to my Grandmothers house about 10 minutes away and catch plenty of them. Are they expensive?

sugarfox03

Originally Posted by TX Reef
We have those all over the place where I live....they're very nice looking snakes.
I could actually go out to my Grandmothers house about 10 minutes away and catch plenty of them. Are they expensive?
Compared to other snake morphs (like ball pythons), corn snake morphs aren't that expensive. An Okeetee & reverse okeetee you can normally find between $20-50 depending on where you live, how many corn snake breeders are in the area, etc... I luckily live in an area where there is a lot, so the prices are pretty low on the different morphs. Normal corn snakes are really cheap, normally between $5-10! I have a sunrise corn snake (atleast thats what they called it), got him/her from the Daytona show last year, paid $25. I don't have an updated picture, this is all I have, its a lot more red/orange now.

grmreapr

hey drop me a line can you tell me where you got them or if you start breeding I could maybe take one off your hands the only things I have now are a leopard gecko a jackson chameleon and a sugar glider def need to get a snake again its been a long time since I had one.

tx reef

Originally Posted by SugarFox03
Compared to other snake morphs (like ball pythons), corn snake morphs aren't that expensive. An Okeetee & reverse okeetee you can normally find between $20-50 depending on where you live, how many corn snake breeders are in the area, etc... I luckily live in an area where there is a lot, so the prices are pretty low on the different morphs. Normal corn snakes are really cheap, normally between $5-10! I have a sunrise corn snake (atleast thats what they called it), got him/her from the Daytona show last year, paid $25. I don't have an updated picture, this is all I have, its a lot more red/orange now.

I am glad they are not expensive. We have so many around here that it would seem like robbery to sell one for a lot of money.

sugarfox03

As far as I know, people don't really sell the wild caught snakes, they just leave them in the wild...except my little brother who brings everything home. But corns are very easy to breed in captivity, and captive bred snakes normally do a lot better than the wild caught snakes, and definately easier to handle!

tx reef

I have caught many copper heads and rattle snakes around my mothers house. She lives in town near a creek and a large field, so I guess this is where they come from. After catching them, I take them out to the country and release them.
To catch them, I take a long stick and poke it at the snake. The snake then tries to slither away. When the snake starts to slither away, I jump on it's head. I then pick it up and place it in a pillow case and take it away. My wife and mother think I am crazy, but my method works and I haven't come close to getting bit........yet.

sugarfox03

Originally Posted by TX Reef
I have caught many copper heads and rattle snakes around my mothers house. She lives in town near a creek and a large field, so I guess this is where they come from. After catching them, I take them out to the country and release them.
To catch them, I take a long stick and poke it at the snake. The snake then tries to slither away. When the snake starts to slither away, I jump on it's head. I then pick it up and place it in a pillow case and take it away. My wife and mother think I am crazy, but my method works and I haven't come close to getting bit........yet.
Are you crazy? Haha...good luck with that! I'll stick to my balls & corns thanks.

teresaq

I found a pretty one in my garage last week. we just moved and somehow it ended up in one of our tubs. I pulled the tub outside and let it get out and get to the field. I like snakes, but everyone thinks i'm crazy.

viper_930

Thanks for the comments everybody.
I got both of mine for 126 bucks shipped from South Mountain Reptiles.
All of the naturally-occuring morphs are pretty cheap, but there are some colors that you can't find from a walk in the park. Many could be $100+ bucks, and I've seen opals go for about 1k.
I'll be feeding mine frozen thawed pinkies.

blizz75

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
thanks, great lookin snakes

sugarfox03

Originally Posted by blizz75
what do they eat? pinkies or adults?(mice)
Mine is around a year and a half, and he eats 1 live rat fuzzy every 10 days or so. He just ate last night.

sugarfox03

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Thanks for the comments everybody.
I got both of mine for 126 bucks shipped from South Mountain Reptiles.
All of the naturally-occuring morphs are pretty cheap, but there are some colors that you can't find from a walk in the park. Many could be $100+ bucks, and I've seen opals go for about 1k.
Not a bad price for the snakes! Shipping is the most expensive part! $1000 is on the cheap end for ball python morphs...I wish some of the nicer morphs were only $1000!! Opals are pretty sweet though! Corns are escape artists, I couldn't pay $1000 for a cornsnake and have it get lost. I did pay $950 for a pastel ball python a few years ago. I traded him to a friend of mine, actually, the guy I bought him from, as well as all of my big females earlier this year. He's got a mojave male that he said when he gets a male baby from him, I get that for the trade!