New Crosshatch Won't Eat

64ivy

Got this 4" Crosshatch by MO yesterday and it came in with a pretty sunken belly (hopefully you can see it in the attatched image). Don't know whether this has reached the muscular stage yet but so far, the fish has not eaten this mornings offering of PE Mysis (soaked in Selcon) and Formula One. The 'good' news is that it is currently in quarantine and also it seems quite reactive to outside stimuli at this point. Questions: Is the fish "too far gone, IYO, and if not, what would be the best starter foods for it? Thanks in advance.

aarone

Beautiful fish! My suggestion would be to just try a variety of foods. It may not be eating due to stress and may need a few days to start up again. Just feed small amounts as normal to keep him interested.
aaron

armageddon

Yes that is a beautiful specimen. Try soaking some frozen krill and clams in garlic and zoe to get him to eat. Keep us posted.

robchuck

I wouldn't be worried at all that the fish isn't eating; at least for the first few days. Frozen krill soaked overnight in garlic extract with selcon has always worked really well for me. Put some in a turkey baster and release it near the fish without spooking the fish. If all else fails, live food also works well in getting fish to eat in captivity. Best of luck, and you have a gorgeous fish!

ryebread

That is a beautiful Crosshatch Michael!
I assume that you are planning on putting it in your reef? It's the only Trigger that I would consider in a reef tank.......maybe a Sargassum. I was looking into them for a while, but I didn't want to drop the cash on one. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
The above suggestions are good......I would also try soaking Krill, Mysis, Plankton, or Squid in Garlic to entice him.

stacyt

Very nice looking fish. The only thing that I can think of to add to the already given advice is to also try some silversides. Most of my triggers took a couple of days to start eating. Especially the more passive ones like my blue throat. He took a few days to get comfortable before he started eating.

64ivy

Originally posted by RyeBread
That is a beautiful Crosshatch Michael!
I assume that you are planning on putting it in your reef? It's the only Trigger that I would consider in a reef tank.......maybe a Sargassum. I was looking into them for a while, but I didn't want to drop the cash on one. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

$295.00 AND I was on a waiting list for six months! As I explained to the fish, those are just two of the reasons she WILL eat! The little IV I'm putting together is a third. Her choice. ;)

ryebread

:D
$300 isn't a bad price from what I have seen them go for. :eek:
I'm liking the IV idea though.......might have to try that out some time. :D

64ivy

Success!!! A 'combo plate' of chopped fresh shrimp and Cyclop-eeze finally did the trick. And what's almost as good is that I didn't even have to leave the house to get this stuff since, coincidentally, my wife had just bought the shrimp as appitizers to serve a few of her friends who came by yesterday evening. Anyway, since I'm no longer allowed in the bedroom for awhile, I thought I'd post early and let everyone know what finally worked. Soon, hopefully, I can wean the fish over to the Selcon soaked Mysis and get her filled out before introducing her to the reeftank. Any other problems not withstanding, I plan to keep 'her' QT'ed for about three weeks. I'll keep you all informed of the progress.
Oh, and thanks, btw, for all of your suggestions and good wishes.

lesleybird

Hey, TPN for a fish? What a concept! How about come live brine shrimp? Never seen a fish resist that. Maybe the fish is used to eating live food only in the ocean and will have to be weaned onto other dead food. How about some live ghost shrimp? A lot of LFS sell them and they can stay alive in salt water for hours. If your fish is afraid of people you may have to stay out of site for it to come out to eat. Good luck, Lesley

64ivy

Originally posted by waterfaller1
Beautiful fish!Good luck,what will you call "her"??

Well, my wife said if I ever swipe her expensive shrimp to feed 'her' again, I can call her 'Honey'! :D