New Dosing Pumps are here !

ifirefight

Got my new dosing pumps today. No time to install yet. Tommorrow will post my step by step install guide. These will be used to dose 2 part solution. 1 ALK and the other CAL. I need 79 ml per day (as of now,with the corals and clams I have)of each to keep my levels in check. Each pump doses 1ml per minute...so,all you math geniuses probably figured it out already...run each pump 79 minutes via a digital timer and my dosing needs are taken care of. These are called "Drews Dosers" FYI.

ifirefight

Well it took a little longer than I figured...2 trips to home depot
seems I ALWAYS make more than 1 trip per project.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by ameno
http:///forum/post/2545529
nice

How far can you pump water with one of these?
Ya know...Thats a great question. I really dont know. However I am pumping downhill with this set-up. But Being these are peristaltic pumps...Im under the impression they sholud be able to pump to very high heights. The tubing is 1/4 inch ID and the pumps do not back siphon..so the lines are always full. It pushes the fluid about 1/4 inch for each revolution. Maybe somebody with knowledge on peristaltic pumps will chime in
Anyway..it will be nice not to have to add stuff every day. I am totally automated...except for feeding.

ameno

yea I'm having to dose two part everyday now and still can't keep up with calcium, and debating on a calcium reactor. But want to try an auto water change system first, were I would change out 1% of water every day, but the pump I'm looking at to do this is over $300, that why I was wondering about these, I think those pumps might would work. not much height to pump up but probably 40' feet or better to the tank. I'll have to check into it a bit more. Nice set-up though, I like being all automated, more time to do other things with the tank

ifirefight

Originally Posted by ameno
http:///forum/post/2546340
I would change out 1% of water every day, I think those pumps might would work.
Nope,these will not work for that. I believe you have a 125 gallon,so you want to change 1.25 gallons per day. These pump 1 ML per minute..so 60 x 24 =1440 MLs per day. And 1.25 gallons is 4731 MLs... These wont work,but I believe they make large ones...your gonna need something in the range of a 4 ML per minute pump.

ameno

yep your right those won't work, was a thought anyway

Looks like this dualhead reeffiller pump I'm looking at is gona be my best bet.
I do like these pumps though, I may try and set something like this up on my frag tank

scsinet

I like the use of digital timers. Much more reliable than mechanical.
Another member here (can't remember the name) built a basic controller out of a gizmo called a "smart relay." You may want to check it out. You program them with a PC so it can theoretically cycle your dosers on and off several times a day and for different intervals, so instead of one long "burst" you could dose a hundred times a day for several seconds each, etc whatever you want.
For example 79m = 4,750s. There are 1440 minutes in a day, so that's 3.29 seconds per minute, so you could dose for about 16.5 seconds every 5 minutes (every 5 minutes to reduce wear and tear), instead of one long dosing. Might help your stability.
It also has multiple channels so you can set up your dosers independantly.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2546503
I like the use of digital timers. Much more reliable than mechanical.
Another member here (can't remember the name) built a basic controller out of a gizmo called a "smart relay." You may want to check it out. You program them with a PC so it can theoretically cycle your dosers on and off several times a day and for different intervals, so instead of one long "burst" you could dose a hundred times a day for several seconds each, etc whatever you want.
For example 79m = 4,750s. There are 1440 minutes in a day, so that's 3.29 seconds per minute, so you could dose for about 16.5 seconds every 5 minutes (every 5 minutes to reduce wear and tear), instead of one long dosing. Might help your stability.
It also has multiple channels so you can set up your dosers independantly.
Yeah Dave, I like the digital timers also...a little extra money,but worth it IMO. I did see that other thread you are refering to...unfortunatelly,my expertise is NOT in that area. Come to think of it,it is about as far from that are as you can get.
I am not very computer/technical litirate.