New Duncan placement...

speg

Got a duncan yesterday and placed at the bottom, in the sand. I thought it would be low current in that spot, but the tentacles seem to be moving a bit. It opened out a bit throughout the night but then a clown goby scared them back inside.
I am thinking of moving it to a lesser-current area. As of right now, it's still reluctant to extend outwards.
Suggestions?

spanko

From a practical fishkeeping magazine article.
"Requirements: Duncan’s corals live in deep waters, near sand, so in the main use blue spectrum lighting, at around 20,000K, or place them away from the main beam of a metal halide. Multiple T5 lights will be fine.
Duncanopsammia is a large polyp stony (LPS) coral, meaning that it typically feeds on zooplankton and doesn’t demand the very strong flow of small polyp stony (SPS) corals.
Give it adequate, but not too strong flow and light, feed regularly with frozen Cyclops, brineshrimp nauplii and proprietary coral food, and it should do well.
Place away from other LPS corals to prevent fighting."
From the drs. site
" Lighting: Low to Moderate
Waterflow: Low
Placement: Bottom to Middle"
From asira
"Common names: duncans, whisker coral, daisy coral
Natural origin: Australia, Indo-Pacific
Sensitivity (Level 2 to 3): Duncans are similar to other large polyped stony corals in terms of tolerance and sensitivity to slightly less than ideal water conditions. However, aquarists report them to have more demanding feeding requirements than most other LPS.
Feeding: These corals do well with frequent target feeding. Smaller mysis shrimp, Cyclopeeze (micro crustaceans) and baby brine shrimp are some good food choices (also any meaty food similarly sized, or chopped to the appropriate size). Variety in foods given is also helpful.
Lighting (Level 3 to 5): These corals can adapt to a wide range of lighting. They don't need intense lighting. However, aquarists frequently report higher growth rates under more intense lighting.
Waterflow: Moderate to strong water flow is important.
Placement: Prefered placement is on rock, but placement on sand might be ok (so long as it can be placed such that the polyps can fully expand, uninhibited).
General: Success with Duncans seems to depend mostly on proper and frequent/adequate feeding. With good care, they can grow quite fast and are relatively easy to propogate."

speg

Well thanks for all the information. I've read all of those already, but I was just curious about personal experiences with this coral :)
I've moved it to a lesser flow area and hopefully my clown goby will stop perching near it.

speg

This clown goby may need to go to a new tank.. duncan doesn't like being touched....
On a different note... the 'skin' of the duncan is absolutely beautiful. The green neon color is stunning.

speg

Since I moved it it's been doing much better. It's spread out and lookin good. I'll be honest, I think I like the 'look' of mrdc's type better than the one I have... but I guess the only real way of knowing is to get them both :)

mrdc

Speg, I was lucky with mine. When I saw it at my LFS, I saw maybe 5 heads but I liked the way it looked. I did some research and decided to go back to get it. When I brought it home, I then saw there were like 13 heads and they opened up much more. I think the bulbs or water at my LFS store is bad.
When buying online, I have had some dissapointments. I just got lucky this time even though it was bought locally.

speg

I've never seen them for sale locally. Had to get both of mine online. A shop here has one in a display tank with at least 50 heads on it. The thing is huge and is the center-piece for the tank.

speg

Well since I moved the duncan it has gone from nice looking to awesome. It's WAY spread out now. It's to the point that I will probably need to move some nearby corals to avoid any touching. Sometimes a snail or a hermit touches it and it'll suck in for a couple minutes, but then it's right back out.
Getting another today.. should be a different kind. Maybe pics tomorrow.

section143

I got this frag for 15 bucks cuz it had 2 dead heads... Really starting to thrive in my tank.. The skin is just coming around and I think it will make a full recovery

speg

On my nano thread.. I'll post the pics of the new one on here just for you <3. I noticed a bunch of little heads coming out of it... I swear those weren't there last night! lol

speg

And the new pics I promised...
One is the type of duncan sold on swf.com and the other I got elsewhere.
You can see that the 'elsewhere' duncan has 3 little heads coming off of it. Pretty cool.

section143

I don't know if it's growing new heads or not... But there are 6 heads and 2 dead stalks in the back.. It's been about 2 months and the heads are totally full and the stalk skin has made a full recovery