New Dwarf Lionfish Help

Bad news.

Came home from school today and could not locate the Lionfish. Ripped apart the whole tank in doing so. Checked around the powerheads, heater, etc. Flipped every rock and checked in my macro algae patches. Nothing. I’m guessing the eel had got to it. So weird, he has never gone after a fish, ever. Doesn't even bother the shrimp. I don’t like to think that he ate the lion— but theres no where else it could be. I don't have a overflow or a refugium, so she couldn't have found her way there. Checked around the tank, no sign of her jumping. Sucks.

Honestly don’t know what else could’ve happened besides the eel snagging it, but i examined the eel and he has no wounds and seems fine. Since the fish is venomous i would assume it would have some effect on the little eel, but nothing. Maybe he didn’t eat it? One of my large rocks has small, cave-like holes in it. Maybe the lion wedged itself in there? I moved all the rocks, though. I would assume it would swim out?

Besides the lion and the fish i’ve already listed, this is what else lives in the tank:

Blue knuckle hermit
Scarlet hermit
Blue leg hermits
Nassarius snails
Sea cucumber
Brittle star
Serpent star
Fighting conch
Sand dollar
Peppermint shrimp (3)

what do you guys think? Do you think the eel snagged her or is she just really good at hiding? Or did something else get her?

jay0705

Bad news.

Came home from school today and could not locate the Lionfish. Ripped apart the whole tank in doing so. Checked around the powerheads, heater, etc. Flipped every rock and checked in my macro algae patches. Nothing. I’m guessing the eel had got to it. So weird, he has never gone after a fish, ever. Doesn't even bother the shrimp. I don’t like to think that he ate the lion— but theres no where else it could be. I don't have a overflow or a refugium, so she couldn't have found her way there. Checked around the tank, no sign of her jumping. Sucks.
As small as it is i think you would be shocked where it can hide

jay0705

Can try that. If you moved stuff around it may take til tomm for her to come out. There a camouflage predator so they are literally built to blend in

I am just worried that she has been eaten or something. Since I picked up every rock already wouldn’t she have swam out of one she was on ?

lmforbis

I doubt the eel took it. They are venomous and it would have stung the eel. If it had died for another reason the CUC could have made it disappear pretty fast.

i agree with Jay, it may be hidden in the rocks. Give it some time.

I doubt she had just “died” she looked very healthy the day before she wen’t missing. But, yeah, the eel going after a venomous fish does not make too much sense, especially since the eel seems fine. Hopefully she is just in the rocks like you guys are saying.