New firefish

juliesfish

Well, I added a firefish to my tank a little over a week ago. It is really rare that we see it. I know that it's a shy fish, but to make it worse he's claimed a spot in the back of the tank. He only seems to come out when we turn off the powerheads. I was worried about him eating and read somewhere to turn off the powerheads when feeding. I still haven't seen him eating, but I'm assuming that he's getting something but we just don't see it since he's in the back. My question is should we continue to turn off the powerheads when we feed? Do you think that he will eventually get used to the flow and come out more. I only got one because I've heard that if you get 2 males that they will fight. This one was in a tank by itself at the LFS. He seems to be healthy just gets freaked out everytime we clean the tank.

1guydude

+1 shy fish!
How long has it been? E.g. when u got him, when u saw him last, how long hes been hiding?
Mine didnt "warm up" till prob about the 2 week.
Also wat other fish r in their with him?

juliesfish

We've had him for almost 2 weeks. He comes out when we feed in the evenings. I saw him day before yesterday. He comes out a lot more if we turn the powerheads off. The only other fish we have so far are 2 ocellaris clownfish.

1guydude

well i usually leave my powerheads on when i feed and turn off the filter! Thats just me....give him time and hopefully he will come out more!~ sry all i can say!
How did u acclimate him?

flower

The fish will get more brave as it ventures out and not get attacked. If he comes out to eat in the evening...don't worry.

juliesfish

I think you're right. I'm seeing him a little more today. He's hanging out near the bottom in the back of the tank. The clowns keep swimming over to him whenever they notice him. Not being aggressive, just curious. I think he'll come out more once they get used to each other. One thing I've noticed is that cleaning the tank makes him hide for while. I'm going to make sure not to mess with any of that until after he eats.

java1

What I like about Bang Guy:
1. His favorite toy is a toilet plunger
2. He made out with beth in sasquatch's forest
3. He terrorizes Mars
4. He is a [Fill in the Blank]
5. He turns my eyes into holes
6. He reminds me of BTLDReef

hallzy

I've noticed that firefish are more brave when kept in groups of 3. When I had firefish I always kept them in 3s and never had a problem with them fighting. I've never heard that even, but I'm no expert. Lol i've just read they're more comfortable in 3s and personal experience showed that to be true for me. But they are very shy and it took mine awhile to be brave enough to stay out for long periods. And would even have their spurts of hiding alot even after they were comfortable and out alot!

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/386480/new-firefish#post_3395350
The fish will get more brave as it ventures out and not get attacked. If he comes out to eat in the evening...don't worry.
+1
I put ONE firefish in the 475 about 6 weeks ago. I began seeing it about 2 weeks ago, and now it doesn't "vanish" even when I walk by the tank. He doesn't eat much, and he's getting braver by the week! Still - he stays close to "his rock" and when needed can absolutly vanish in just a few milliseconds. Next fish order I'll get him some buds.