new fish advice

socko6774

my 29 gallon tank is done cycling, im just kinda stalling to get new fish, im a bit nervous. am i supposed to get the fish in a group? from what i read , it sounds bad to introduce them 1 at a time.
i was thinknig of a porcupine puffer, Mandarin Dragonet - Spotted, and a mated pair of clowns. is that too much, i REALLY want the puffer so that my top priority.

pontius

yes for the clown pair. no for the puffer and mandarin.
if you really want a puffer, you need a much bigger tank. they grow over a foot long. plus, a grown puffer would eat the mandarin and clowns.
the mandarin needs a tank with more live rock and sand than a 29 can hold.

socko6774

Originally Posted by Pontius
yes for the clown pair. no for the puffer and mandarin.
if you really want a puffer, you need a much bigger tank. they grow over a foot long. plus, a grown puffer would eat the mandarin and clowns.
the mandarin needs a tank with more live rock and sand than a 29 can hold.

i thought the porcupine was ony 2 - 3 inches according to the SWF site? dam that sucks, i love that fish!!! man i shoulda got a bigger tank, those mandrines are beautiful!

tugglife2

porcupine puffers can get huge. Saw one about 8 inches at a LFS the other day. I have a valentini puffer along with a GSM clownfish in my 38 gallon. The valentini puffers only grow to about 4 inches.

socko6774

Originally Posted by TuggLife2
porcupine puffers can get huge. Saw one about 8 inches at a LFS the other day. I have a valentini puffer along with a GSM clownfish in my 38 gallon. The valentini puffers only grow to about 4 inches.
dammit, they need to breed a dwarf puffer for us little tank guys!! lol :thinking:

hot883

Originally Posted by socko6774
i thought the porcupine was ony 2 - 3 inches according to the SWF site? dam that sucks, i love that fish!!! man i shoulda got a bigger tank, those mandrines are beautiful!
No, the size on the description is usually the shipping size. We need to breed a puffer that is reef safe and stays small. :cheer:

socko6774

Originally Posted by mrducks
We have a 3 foot long porcupine puffer at a public aquarium where I work. Its kinda scary.

lol, i thought they stayed 2-3 inches!!!