New fish...check this out...

PLEASE DO NOT BUY A 55 GALLON TANK FROM WALMART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The tanks that Evilmart has are extremely bad. They buy really cheap tanks that are of course manufactured very cheaply. The manufacturer does a quick cure to the sealant. When the tank is full of water and brought up to the proper temperature ammonia is released from the poorly sealed tanks and you will get massive ammonia spikes. I don't know how long it would take for all of the ammonia to be released from sealant, but I would not take a chance with it.
This I found out from a LFS, not where I live, but about an hour away. Several of his customers had bought tanks from walmart, because they were cheap. Freshwater or saltwater.....it doesn't seem to matter the tanks always were wiped out. He then went to walmart and bought one himself to test it. Ammonia readings that were extremely high and then even higher with all the dead fish.
I would suggest trading them into a LFS rather than killing them. Just my very honest opinion.

joez

Thanks james...I'll check that link a little later but I actucally think I'm good. So far everyone looks happy and is eating. I guess I'll be building the 200gal in March instead of June or July. I really do have the best interest of the fish at heart and wouldn't want anything to happen to them.
Right now they are fine with their size in the two tanks, but like Rye said, in about 4 they wouldn't be. So I guess I'll be starting the new tank soon!
Thanks for the input guys.

jim672

james,
So I think to myself......what the hell. Maybe I can learn something by going on the weg site you suggested.
ROFLMAO!!!!!! Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim

betts

All I can say is "envy, drool, wish it was me!"...Had to laugh at the comment about the puffer though..We have one that we caught here in the ocean and must say it has a personality of its own...He's calm and very laid back unless he's hungry and then he will bite at the glass or spit water over the top to get your attention. We feed ours small bites of frozen bait shrimp and some flake food for a varied diet and he is growing like crazy. You could call us Marine Aquarium poor since we have 5 set up in our home. We have from 100 gal. to our big 300 gal. There is a variety of fish, from chromis to Volitan Lionfish and all is doing great. Our problem is deciding whether to trade them in when they get to big or turn them back to nature. We catch a lot of our own since we live so close to the ocean. But even the one's we buy from our local LFS are doing great. My husband and I have one joke that we share and that is when you are researching and reading the books about your fish and what they will eat and how big they will get, just remember one thing..."The fish didn't read the books".... I will try to do some posting of a few pics as soon as I figure this site out a little bit...Glad to be a part of it.
Betty

joez

Originally posted by Betts
My husband and I have one joke that we share and that is when you are researching and reading the books about your fish and what they will eat and how big they will get, just remember one thing..."The fish didn't read the books"....

LOL...that's great. I really like that quote. All are eating it looks like. The puffer has chilled out alot and now is acting quite calm. It's fun watching these guys go after the ghost shrimp...the pufer is so cute.

azonic

no 30 or 37 gallon tank is going to handle that bioload. You got a lot of messy eaters then and a lot of messy "crappers" as well. Expect your water quality to be horrible within 1-2 months.
Your flame will not like poor water and will probably kick the big one. your panther will most likely eat your goby...no matter if they are the same size or not...have you ever seen the mouth of a panther when they open it wide? you will. Like was said, the porky can and will nip the fins of your lion...especially in such closed quarters. I wish you the best of luck but a panther reaches 2 feet in length, a porky can easily hit 1.5 feet and you have them in a 30/37 gallon system. common sense should of told you something...even though you are going to upgrade, most likely 50% of what you got will be dead by then due to stress or being eaten or bad water quality.
Sorry to be so critical but no one in their right mind would support your decision in adding all those fish to such small systems.
good luck nonetheless.

seaham358

I got a 55 gal for Walmart to start my adventure about 8 months ago. I love it... NO problems at all. The kit includes everything you need to start off and it was around $400 cheaper then anywhere else. The filter sucks though.. I still have all the fish I started with in my fresh water tank. I have a 125 reef now. Got hooked big time.. I think your LFS is selling you a line of crap so you will buy his highly priced tank. Just my opinion.