new fish tank startup

A

atoz25

i have just started up a 55 gal tank. i have a hood that has a 36 inch marine glow bulb(blue) and a 36 inch power glow. i have a magnum 350 canister filter, some fosilized coral rock and 7 bls of live rock. i let the tank sit for 4 days then got a tang, niger trigger, and a hawk fish. they have been in my tank for 7 days now and everything is going good. dont see any sign of disease. well my question is im noticing alot of brown algae growing on all my rocks, and even on my gravel. im told this is normal. i really dont like the algae on my gravel. what can i do to eliminate the algae on my gravel or will this go away? and do i have enough lighting to allow the algae to turn green. and how long should it take to notice green algae.

bingo

OK, what you need to do is bag up those fish, and bring them back to the pet store and tell them to hold on to them for about 3-4 weeks. Your tank hasn't cycled yet, and when it does you have a good chance of killing those fish. Once you test 0 for ammonia, nitrite, and close to 0 for nitrate, you can SLOWLY add fish. Please take these fish back, once your tank is ready, they will be much happier in your tank :)

dsa_mom

in response to your question about brown algae, that is called diatoms and a few snails like mexican turbo snails will eat it up in no time.

God Bless our LFS...did they tell you it was okay to add these fish so soon? You really do need to take them back and have the store hold them for you for 3-4 weeks. I know, I am not gaining points here.
Have you started testing for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates yet? If not get a test kit while you are there asking them to keep your fish for you for a while.
Do a search on cycling your tank and read all you can. When the cycle is done you can put your fish back in. These guys are too pretty and too expensive to let them die.
Post your questions on the board as you go along and you will get an abundance of knowledge and experience. No one here would intentionally steer you in the wrong direction...and yes, most of us have been through this...you are in good company my friend. Good luck.

kris

It will most likely take quite a while for you to notice any green algae. Snails will in fact help the diatoms, or they would if they were to survive in your tank, but they probably won't because of your trigger.
But now to the more important issue--you did add too many fish--too fast--before you even cycled. These fish don't have great odds of surviving, although it's possible. Here's a few tips in case you aren't able to return any of them.
Monitor your levels daily!!especially that ammonia.
Keep some kent ammo detox on hand, odds are you're gonna need it.
while normally you would not do water changes during a cycle--you're going to have to, to preserve your livestock. When your levels become unsafe, change it, even if they are larger amounts like up to 50% if needed (which normally is inadvisable as well)
plan on getting a bunch more live rock if you can
but NOT immediately because in the very beginning that too will add to your load, as opposed to later when it will become a very valuable filtering tool, and the magnum might not cut it.
While there are varying opinions on this stuff, I would add a bio-booster like cycle (or something) because you need all the help you can get.
Last but not least I would cross my fingers.
If you have any questions about my or the others responses, please just ask. Sometimes you get more than what you bargained for around here.
FYI-your pretty new white cc bed will never be like it is now, but when you vacuum it, it cleans up pretty good.
Good Luck to you (and your fish!)

A

atoz25

thank you kris.. you gave me the most info i needed but still lack something "the most important part of the question". my lighting ...... is it too much lighting or the right amount or not enough lighting. i want to prevent the algae growth on my gravel... the reason i ask is ive been doing this for 3 years just moved and after 6 months i want my tank back. when i had my tank i just had 1 36" powerglow bulb and never had algae on my gravel. i upgraded to adding the marine glow and now i have algae on my sand. can i prevent algae on my gravel? either it will go away or i will cut my lighting back to the way i had it. ive noticed im very different to all the others on this sight an example is ..... my old tank i had for 3 years no problems considering i had 4 too many fish (eplained by others on here) and within the 3 years i only lost 4 fish which was due to ...(1) one fish brand new wouldnt eat and starved itself(2) one jumped out (3) power went out for 12 hrs and 1 died (4) went on vacation and came back an one was dead.......... im not worried about the fish i have now surviving please give me info on my lighting......