New fish

whitey

Wouldn't it be great if people didn't make impulse decisions when it comes to living things?
To me, it's pure ignorance, regardless if they do it unknowkingly or not.
Sorry if it sounds harsh, but there are way too many threads about people being stupid and buying a fish, then realizing it's gonna die if they don't get it to a proper home.
The same thing happens with pets of all kinds. It gets old.
If you want to make an impulse buy, purchase a couch or a lamp.

ophiura

It is hard to hear about the impulse buy, but at least people have come here, learned, realized they made a mistake...and may have a relatively better (though still low) chance of keeping it alive. So I do want to give "kudos" to the two who did come, realize the mistake and post, even after the fact.

whitey

Originally Posted by ophiura
It is hard to hear about the impulse buy, but at least people have come here, learned, realized they made a mistake...and may have a relatively better (though still low) chance of keeping it alive. So I do want to give "kudos" to the two who did come, realize the mistake and post, even after the fact.

I agree, it's just frusurating reading the same thing every day.
It's funny though, cause I bet most of these people would research a lawn mower, a telephone, or something that doesn't actually live and breath before they buy them.
When it comes to fish, if it looks pretty in the store, it will definitely look pretty in their tank, regardless of what it actually needs. For a while.

cjml

Originally Posted by ophiura
Absolutey-we have our tank for over 3 years and still learning!!!!! :happyfish :happyfish

whitey

I have no problem with people not knowing everything about the hobby. I certainly don't know half as much as I wish I did and I've had tanks for 10 years. I just think it's irresponsible to buy things that will suffer because you didn't take the 10 minutes to research it a little bit first.

xdave

Dont you wish just once the LFS guy would say you dont want that. Then again, having also been that guy, I wish I could tell a customer that and have him say ok, thanks buddy. Heres how to deal with the GF. Repeat after me, "I know honey I think they're cute too but he'll get too big and be all sad and die real slow.. I just couldn't put you through that."