New Fishies!! Annularis and Butterflies!

aquaknight

Finally getting around to posting pics. Anyway here's some pics of the new guy in my avatar. A bit over 5", has a nice big streamer already. I have seen this fish for well over 2 years. He was in an LFS show tank down in O-town. On a random trip down to Universal Studios/Orlando a few weekends ago, the owner was breaking down the tank and had the fish for sale. I couldn't pass on him.

No pics of these, but a feeding video of a pair of Tahitian Butterflies. I just have a desk lamp on their QT tank, so any pics with my point-an-shoot camera are out as these guys live life at 150%. Weaned onto anything I put in the tank, NLS pellets in the video. They're relatives of the Kleini Butterfly, so these guys should be nice and hardy. I've them for about a month so far, the slightly larger one about 1.5" the other is just smaller. I got them from the guy that drives the GoDaddy #5 Chevrolet
. (this comment is just directed at one member)

Lastly, my Rainfordi Butterfly I just bought today. We missed him yesterday on the WYSIWYG site, but for some reason he was back up today, and for his price, is a smoking deal. He is 3 1/4" and gets here Tuesday. Can't wait!

R

rcreations

Very cool! I always liked the Annularis but I read they're very shy.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/3235879
Very cool! I always liked the Annularis but I read they're very shy.
Really? I always thought sort of the opposite, they were like Grays/French, not too aggressive, but not timid at all. I was deciding between the Annularis and a Chrysurus. I know the Chrysurus does good in multi-angel systems. Granted, Annularis's were almost always decent sized, but lately in the last year or so there have been a flood of 4"-5.5"ers on the market.
Mine has been a little reclusive, he loves his cave but comes out to greet me when I walk in the room. Has no problem chasing the Naso out of the cave. If they are a bit more shy then I thought, I think he would probably a much better fit, with the other more passive fish I plan to keep.

peter1215

Very nice angel Aquanight...i was considering getting one but i already have a french and an emperor. they're all from the same genus so dont want to push my luck. do you have other angels in your DT?

aquaknight

Thanks guys!
Originally Posted by peter1215
http:///forum/post/3236060
Very nice angel Aquanight...i was considering getting one but i already have a french and an emperor. they're all from the same genus so dont want to push my luck. do you have other angels in your DT?
Well the DT isn't quit ready yet (have a thread in Aggressives), but he will be joining a Blueface and a Rock Beauty in the 240 for sure. These 4 fish (Anny. and 3 B/Fs) will fill up my 4 QTs/holdings tanks, so that's it till the DT is already. I will likely to try to mix in some other angels genera as well.

scotts

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3235830
I got them from the guy that drives the GoDaddy #5 Chevrolet
. (this comment is just directed at one member)
You must 'splain this comment.
p.s. oh yea, nice fish.

kjr_trig

Great stuff AK. Love the Butterfly video, those guys are eating like champs.
It's amazing Mark Martin has time to sell such nice fish while still driving the #5.

G

gtdarock

Nice one Aqua ! I always checkout the Aggressive forum, I haven't checked out Fish Discussion in a very longtime. I'm happy I seen your post. Good luck with this guy, keep us posted man

fishonly350g

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3236018
Really? I always thought sort of the opposite, they were like Grays/French, not too aggressive, but not timid at all. I was deciding between the Annularis and a Chrysurus. I know the Chrysurus does good in multi-angel systems. Granted, Annularis's were almost always decent sized, but lately in the last year or so there have been a flood of 4"-5.5"ers on the market.
Mine has been a little reclusive, he loves his cave but comes out to greet me when I walk in the room. Has no problem chasing the Naso out of the cave. If they are a bit more shy then I thought, I think he would probably a much better fit, with the other more passive fish I plan to keep.
how do these blue rings do in an aggressive setup, now since it doesnt sound like a clown tang is too wise maybe i'd do the annularis, how do they do with triggers and puffers?

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Fishonly350g
http:///forum/post/3242818
how do these blue rings do in an aggressive setup, now since it doesnt sound like a clown tang is too wise maybe i'd do the annularis, how do they do with triggers and puffers?
If they are super aggressive, a Blue Ring isn't going to do too well. My knowledge with Blue Rings before was limited to 10"+ specimens, though any angel that big holds it's own quite well (though my have issues adjusting to captivity (eating)). My 5" Anny is a bit more shy then I would have thought. Maybe due to the cramped holding tank, but he's in with a Naso tang and a large Lei trigger. The Lei isn't aggressive in general, but eats very strong. The Blue Ring manages successfully to get more then his share though.

aquaknight

I've been holding off on the pics of the Rainfordi, which wasn't eating up to snuff yet. Still only mostly on Hikara mysis and shaved scallops, but he's getting a bunch better.
Here are some pics and a vid. Sorry about the movie quality. I have no idea why it turned out so crappy

To make up for it, here's an awesome action shot of him eating

Feeding video;

aquaknight

Thank you!
So to make up for that crappy video, here is one you can actually make the fish out. He's eating pretty well now too.