New Flame Angel

RobP

Quick question, I just got a new Flame Angel and she is grazing off the rocks nicely but hasn't eaten any Mysis shrimp after 4-5 days. I've put seaweed in the tank a few times but she hasn't eaten any yet. My question should I turn off or limit the amount of time I run my UV sterilizer? thanks

flower

Hi,

4 or 5 days??? She is eating something, what does the sterilizer have to do with it?

RobP

Yeah I see her grazing on the live rock so I know she is eating and I guess if she was hungry she would eat the Mysis shrimp I add.

My thought with the sterilizer is it limits my algae growth. Not sure if she eats it or not. I just haven't had a flame angel before and want to make sure I give her what she needs.

silverado61

This is just off the cuff but did you research flame angels before you bought one? And did you qt it before putting it in your tank? I didn't read any mention of that.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

RobP

Now I have to ask, why would you assume that I didn't research it? Of course I did, why would I be asking if I should run my sterilizer less since a flame angel eat algae. Secondly, what does putting my new fish in QT tank have to do with my question?

Do I question if you changed your underwear today?

Just a thought

honu808

No reason to get nasty. I was gonna ask same questions. New fish need to go in qt and you said you just wanted to ensure you gave the flame what it needed; that would have been found in research first.

RobP

Why is the assumption that I didn't research or QT the fish? If I didn't what does that have to do with the original question I ask? What if I didn't put her in a QT? Does that make my question invalid? I don't think it does.

Additionally, it was my understanding that putting a new fish in QT was for my current fish safety not the new ones which is why I think this questions were unwarranted.

Silverado61, I didn't mean to come across like the way I think it did but at the same time I took your question as an insult. Your question had ZERO to do with the question I asked and appeared to be an attempt to insult my intelligence. So if I came across way to abrasive then I'm sorry it was my goal. I just have little to no experience with UV sterilizers.

jay0705

Ok, I was hesitant to chime in here but I will. To your original question yes the flame as all dwarf angels will eat alage off of the lr. But over time it should eat frozen and prepared foods.
The qt question. Yes its for your current tanks safety, not just the fish. Alot of nasty stuff can come in on fish. So even if its your only fish in there u still dont want that stuff in your tank. Plus if treatment is needed its easier in a qt.
I dont use a uv, I promote some alage growth in my tanks. So use or not using it shouldn't have much effect on your flame

aduvall

My flame rarely grazes... It was my understanding that while as a whole they would Graze they need something else to suppliment it. However if they are eating I think they'll be fine.

silverado61

OK. Reading back I can see how it can be taken out of context.
You just didnt mention those two things and I thought it just might have something to do with why your flame is only grazing and not eating anything you were offering it. And I was just curious as to the care of them.

My bad.

trigger40

usually when you buy a dwarf angel it takes them about a week to start eating frozen food once first introduced. i would just be patient for now. if the angel doesnt start eating the veggies or mysis in the next couple of days then you can start to panic.

Is it Flame Angel must feed good food, when I have Flame Angel, I just feed them pellet and flake food. And All of my fish get pellet and flake food