new frags on the way

spsfreak100

Mike,
It looks like you're going to be receiving some very colorful frags! I esspecially like #3 and #6!
Graham
PS. I'll get in line after Kip ;)

attml

Mike,
Sweeeeeeeet!!! You scored!!! That is a great start to filling that big 150 of yours!!! Just what the Dr. ordered (No pun intended;) ! ) I will definitely try to stop by and see you on Sat. I may be making a quick run up to EA or AC. I need some salt! I will give you a call! Can't wait to see the new additions!
PS - Do you have any Green Pocillipora? I may bring some with me for the new tank.
Mark

fishman88

man mike they look really good. maybe when i up grade my lighting you can frag 1 or 2 of me (dont worry mike i wont be getting new lighting for a while)
good luck mike
mike

fishman88

haha funny story there mike i was goin to go this month but i got the days mixed up and i thought the first sunday was this sunday... well i h=guess that aint really funny but i will be at the next 1 can you give me your e-mail so if i am goin i can e-mail you and maybe get those frags?
thanks
mike

m.rogers

frenknberry i said this up in the post before you posted and i think that this is all most as good but not as good.
the guy that kip said is opening a new aquaculture facility and will be collecting acro colonies for future propagation and will be offering a very limited number of these frags. so i am not sure but he is heading in the wright diraction wouldn't you say.
mike

m.rogers

look every coral you have started from a wild colony at one time don't get me wrong i would love to have all aquacultured frags but to get them you have to start with a wild frag. now when i frag my corals that i just got for friends they will have aquacultuerd frags. I can not trade what i do not have or trade a coral back to the person that i got it from.
mike

m.rogers

franknberry you where on your soapbox now i know why you looked so tall:D :D :D. i understand where you are coming from but this is how i started i can not change it the DR. is local and i have got alot of stuff from him and will get more stuff from him.
know hard feelings
your friend mike

reefnut

Well I have found it is a LOT easier to say buy aquacultured than it is to actually buy aquacultured, especially ones that look like the above frags do. I have searched for places that sell aquacultured corals and have not found very many... if any.
One that comes to mind says they are aquacultured but in fact they are grown in the ocean, fragged or sold as colonies. What's the difference? It's good they are not cutting up the natural reefs but that does not eliminate the fact that they are infact wild. and I'm sure people buy colonies from them to chop up among one an other.
Every coral/ frag I buy local is wild. They do not get in aquacultured corals.
I joined a simi-local reef club but they frag their wild colonies to triad frags... so I don't see the difference.
I wish there was a good truly tank raised aquacultured coral supplier but I have not found one.

reefnut

I would appreciate any site you could send me because I'm obviously not looking in the right spot.
So are we talking trading/ buying among hobbyists or from a supplier?

m.rogers

ok look every coral was at one time wild. Every coral in our tanks came from a wild coral at some time down the line and some day i hope that all corals will be aquacultured some day and there will be knoe need to get wild corals any more. the Dr. where i got my coral frags is making a shot at it him self. i would think that there is not a person out there that can say that every coral in the tank didn't come from the wild and was aquacultured but i don't think so.
mike

reefnut

Mike,
There are good reasons to TRY to buy corals that are tank raised and aquacultured... They tend to be healthier and it's better on the natural reefs!! They are not as prone to RTN and that whole changing color thing drives me nut, they are all around better suited for aquarium life... as this board has taught me. The more generations in an aquarium the better. But I would buy those beautiful corals you've selected and I would be happy about it. Until they are available tank raised and aquacultured to the common foke what else can we do;). I hope it all works out good for you!