new golden stripe maroon

autojunkie

just picked one up and added it to the new 10 galloon. The hippie at the LFS said they dont get the gold till their more mature. Anyone know if this is true? pics soon to come. btw i got him for $40, think its fair price?

spanko

You do know that the mature size on those fish is 7" right? Also one of the most nastiest dispositions of andy of the clownfish.

autojunkie

well its an appropriate size now for a 10 galloon, and will be moved to my 90 galloon at home when i grad from school in may.. in the 90 theres only one other maroon, but not a golden stripe... think itll be ok??

spanko

They are beautiful fish. If you can put up with their antics I think it will be fine. Be prepared to be bitten each time you put your hand in the tank for anything. Also be prepared not to be able to make any additions fish wise after the maroons have set up territorial boundries. Bad a s s little mofo's they are.

autojunkie

I kinda feel that lol a hardass fish! How bads it hurt when they bite ya? I used to have an iguana that would bite the S outta me.

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by autojunkie
http:///forum/post/3212882
just picked one up and added it to the new 10 galloon. The hippie at the LFS said they dont get the gold till their more mature. Anyone know if this is true? pics soon to come. btw i got him for $40, think its fair price?
The part about the gold as they mature is correct. They'll start getting the gold in around 8-9 months of age. I would say that's about right for one. I paid 100.00 for my bonded pair. You'll have to take extreme care when trying to pair maroons. If your little gold gets over 2 1/2 inches in size then pairing it with your regular maroon will probably be a no go because you would be placing two females together. I take it the regular maroon has been in the 90gal for some time so it would be a female. If you end up being able to place them together after you graduate in May then do so during the time when the lights are off AND move your rock around so that the residing maroon gets confused about her territory and has to reestablish it. This is no simple feat. Even after doing this, they may fight to the death any way. They are the most aggressive clown. Hope this info helps!

spanko

As they get larger they will draw blood. Scare the S outta ya too cause you don't expect it and bam!