NEW Green Star Polyp!!!

vanquish

I got this very small frag of a Green Star Polyp and I dont know anything about it. My tank has a couple of different zoos, mushrooms, and xenia in it. Other than the fish food, i only feed Phytoplex. Is there anything special I need to do for the GSP? Can any one tell me anything about this organism because I know nothing about it except from seeing it in pictures. THANKS!

bocfuss

Don't need to do anything, the stuff is very hardy and grows like crazzzzyyy. I like the look of it personally. Easy coral.

vanquish

Originally Posted by efishnsea
Good flow will make they polyps expand more.

Ive noticed that it is a very sensitive coral--each time a crab/shrimp bumps into it, it shriks up and wont open again for 30-45mins or sometimes for the rest of the day! therefore, I have tucked it up and away so it wont be touched. I think the location is ok, but it could be in higher flow elseware. what do you all think?

vanquish

also, is it a soft or a hard coral? I cant really tell... its not like my zoos which all seem to be individuals it looks more like an lps. What is it?

hatessushi

They are a colonial coral. You usually receive them on a piece of live rock (Clavularia sp.).
I have one of these and is very hardy. Needs medium light and medium water flow. I have a maroon clownfish that is hosting the GSP. the tentacles are long enoough now that he is able to bury himself in them. The tentacles on mine seem to stay out most of the time. they used to go in if disturded and not come out for 20 minutes or so. Now since the clown is swimming in it all day I believe the coral has gotten used to him and nothing seems to bother it now. In fact I believe the green polyps have gotten greener. Very nice coral and I really think you will be pleased with it. Here are a few pics of mine before I got my MH lights, these are with T5's

vanquish

That is a very nice colony! Mine is very small and the tenticles are much shorter. Im guessing they get longer as it matures? Do you feed yours anything?

hatessushi

Since I have an anenome also I do feed Phytoplankton. Also some leftover food lands in it when I feed the fish but I don't know if it eats it. I really think the light and water flow play a bit part. That's how big it was when I got it. It hasn't spread around yet but I understand they spread alot. Since I got my MH lights it seems the stems are longer and the clownfish will practically disappear.

my way

Once it is comfortable in your tank, if a hermit or snail crawls over it, it will open back up in a matter of minutes. Try to keep it isolated from your rocks if possible, once it starts growing it won't stop. I have tried various foods and have yet to see any eat anything. They do like a decent amount of flow.

hatessushi

My Way wrote;
Once it is comfortable in your tank, if a hermit or snail crawls over it, it will open back up in a matter of minutes. Try to keep it isolated from your rocks if possible, once it starts growing it won't stop. I have tried various foods and have yet to see any eat anything.

Agree 100%!

vanquish

Four months later and my colony is still growing VERY slowly... is there anything i can do to speed things up? its hardly changed.