New guy checking in.

ophthos

New guy to the hobby checking in. I've been pouring over the website over the past few days. Great stuff in here.
Just ot fill you in, I'm a doctor in MA and will be doing some renovation in my waiting room in the next month and I got the idea of putting in a salt water fish tank. You know, something to give the patients something to look at and keep the quiet while they wait. I have plenty of room for a pretty big tank and very few requirements, I like colorful fish and clown fish. That's about it.
What's everyone feeling on outfits that set up and maintain tanks?

robertmathern

In my opinion they are over priced and not worth the money. But if you got it then just find a reputable outfit. If not I have herd some horror stories on these. Just read MR X post stumped you will get the idea of what I am talking about.

ophthos

Yeah, I'm not sure about the outfits. There is a local fish store in town. I'm going over there tonight or tomorrow and check them out. To me half the fun would be setting everything up myself and getting a nice ecosystem flourishing. On average how long does it take to get a tank set up and ready for fish?
My other trip this weekend will be to get some good books and start doing some reading.
Thanks
Peter

robertmathern

Well fist off do your homework on what kind of setup you want i.e. filtration and stuff like that. That will tell you how long it takes to set up a tank for fish. If you use live rock it will depend on what shape your rock is in when you get it.

kingsmith

I would say your best bet would be try to get interested and informed so you at least are aware of what needs to be done, then try to hook up with someone local from some boards or a reef club that would help you set it up, and I am sure you could pay them to do maintenance for you, and of course dont trust the Fish store too much

gmr48

im from mass also, i know of a very nice saltwater store they have everything you would need and have tanks from 10gal-1000gal tanks set up to see im not sure i can post the name here and dont know how to pm people but ill give you my email, dont know if thats ok, but its mine to give so mass4903@aol.com email me ill point you in the direction

ophthos

Thanks for the replies guys. I have read the "101 tips," lots of info there to digest. I'll be looking to start something in the spring, so I have some time for reading and planning.
Incidently, I went to the local fish store this evening and it didn't look good. First off they weren't open at the posted hours, then when I peaked into the window, things looked pretty dissheveled.....I think I'll pass on this place.
So back to step one: anyone have any good book recomendations?
GMR48, I'll email you tomorrow from my work. Thanks in advance for your help. Anyone else in here from southeastern MA?

geridoc

The best book, IMHO, is "The Conscientious Aquarist" which I believe is sold on this site.

socal57che

Originally Posted by GeriDoc http:///forum/post/2808749
The best book, IMHO, is "The Conscientious Aquarist" which I believe is sold on this site.

Bob recently updated and rereleased it. I didn't see it in the SWF inventory, but amazon has it. The local Barnes and Noble did not. (as of last month)
Here are a couple links to book threads...
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/323229/read-read-read
and
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/331773/good-books
Welcome aboard, ophthos. Are you an eye doctor?

O

osubeast

IMO the funniest part is the set up. Even funner if you have money set aside to get what you want. Finding a good message board is very important along with a good LFS. I have been trolling around quite a while and this board was an easy choice. Lots of knowledge on these boards and people are extremely eager to help out. Plus, at the bottom people are always selling, trading, buying, etc. Good way to get started at a discounted rate. Might even be someone on these boards that lives close enough to swing in a give you a hand. Anyway, the first thing I would do is make sure what size tank I wanted. I have a 120 and wish I had a 220. Once you determine the size/shape of tank you want and what you wish to put in it, then you can determine how much space you are going to need for sumps, skimmers, chiller, etc.....

ophthos

Thanks guys.
Heading to the book store tomorrow. I saw that "The Conscientious Aquarist" had been updated, so I'll pick that up.
Socal57che, yup, I'm an ophthalmologist. By the way, nice name, you into 57chevys? My Uncle has one from the mid 50's, don't know which year. Personally, I've been in the hunt for a late 60's GM A-body vert to restore and drive in the summer.
Anyway, back to the fish. First step will be to find the right size tank but that's for another post.
Peter

socal57che

Originally Posted by ophthos
http:///forum/post/2809338
Socal57che, yup, I'm an ophthalmologist. By the way, nice name, you into 57chevys? My Uncle has one from the mid 50's, don't know which year. Personally, I've been in the hunt for a late 60's GM A-body vert to restore and drive in the summer.
Ya, that's my car in my avatar. It's a work in progress. There are several car nuts here. Lovethesea has an early 70s Olds Cutlass.
If you google, you may find a marine aquarium society in your area with members that will help you set it up. These guys are generally a little more dedicated to the hobby than most LFS and get a kick out of helping others get started. If you do find a reef club, go to a few meetings and look at peoples setups first hand.
There is a TON of info down inthe DIY forum, too.

miss_rosie

My opinion:
I've installed a "Bow shaped" tank in a dental office about 6months ago and everyone loves it!
The set up replicates finding nemo, the kids are very intrigued.
Fishes like the tomato clown, yellow tang, cleaner shrimp, etc.