New guy here.Curious about adding fish

Whats up guys! My name is Cody and I have had freshwater tanks for many years now. I recently made the change to saltwater and so far its awesome! I have a 75g tank with 50lbs of live sand, coralife cf light, fluval 405, 2 powerheads. The tank has been up for 5 weeks and I have watched my amonia spike as well as my nitrites.Along with that came brown algae. My recent tests show both to be at 0 and the algae to be slowing down. I have had 2 damsels in there since day one and both seem extremley healthy. Very active, eating, etc. I want to add a frogfish to the tank but have some concerns. I currently do not have a qt tank up, and really dont have the room to put one up. I want to know if slow acclimation and freshwater dip is ok when adding fish? Also any other info that I might need would be great. (I have searched this situation many times with many different answers. Just trying to find some hard info!). Thank in advance.

1guydude

by good wat do u mean?
Info is very scrambled in this hobby because many people have many ideas of wat is "good" for the hobby!
IMO striving for healthy fish and healthy coral well maintaning at least decent water parameters and spreading the hobby to all who accept it is good for the hobby!
The brown algae you speak of is known as diatom. You will get diatom blooms periodically like when adding more LR or ur light alters and such....but the biggest bloom is that 1st one when you are setting up! Once the silicates have been exhausted by the diatom, the diatom will go away.
Id get rid of the damsels...i hear they can be devils....thats their nickname. Mean lil buggers from wat i hear! Personally i dont FW dip my fish, just cuz it will prob stress em out even more.
I simply let the bag float and get to near temp of the tank. Than i add a lil of my tank water to the bag every 5-10min for about 30-45min. Finally i add the fish to the tank and pray to the lord! j/k on the last one!
By a lil i mean like 2-5 tbs of ur water! I usually rip the bag open a lil bit and dip the bag in the tank!
Btw id get a book or two on SW tanks!

Welcome to the site and HTH! lol <hth o boy

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviellvoicae http:///forum/thread/386492/new-guy-here-curious-about-adding-fish#post_3395299
Whats up guys! My name is Cody and I have had freshwater tanks for many years now. I recently made the change to saltwater and so far its awesome! I have a 75g tank with 50lbs of live sand, coralife cf light, fluval 405, 2 powerheads. The tank has been up for 5 weeks and I have watched my amonia spike as well as my nitrites.Along with that came brown algae. My recent tests show both to be at 0 and the algae to be slowing down. I have had 2 damsels in there since day one and both seem extremley healthy. Very active, eating, etc. I want to add a frogfish to the tank but have some concerns. I currently do not have a qt tank up, and really dont have the room to put one up. I want to know if slow acclimation and freshwater dip is ok when adding fish? Also any other info that I might need would be great. (I have searched this situation many times with many different answers. Just trying to find some hard info!). Thank in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviellvoicae
http:///forum/thread/386492/new-guy-here-curious-about-adding-fish#post_3395300
Sorry for the lack of info. This is a fish only tank, my ph is at 8.2 and my salinity is good. If this helps
Do you know exactly what your salinity is?
Frogfish are extremely aggressive and will eat anything that they can fit in their mouths, so if your damsels are small, it will probably end up eating them. This might be a good thing, damsels are mean little fish as they grow. What else do you plan on keeping with this guy? It's going to be really hard.
A fresh water dip won't really do much in the way of QT'ing the fish. Slow acclimation just helps to not stress the fish, it doesn't do much in the way of ridding it of a potential parasite.

mr. limpid

all you need is a 10gal. tank as QT with a plastic glove box with bio balls for a filter, this will house 1 fish. Do you have room for this?