New guy looking for some HELP / ADVICE

slouiscar

Seriously. YOU ARE ALL A HUGE HELP.
So I'll check out the local grocery stores for RO. It sounds like distilled is almost as bad as tap?
I had a feeling this guy was ripping me on the water. I go to another LFS for all my supplies. But when I was calling around for RO I came across him. He does have some nice clowns and a few nice fire shrimp. I am a little reluctant to buy anything from him now though.

birdy

Sorry I may have misled you, distilled can be just as good as RO, I was talking about the nasty stuff in tap water, or improperly filtered water.

latino277

send me your E-mail address and I'll tell you were you can get a compact ro unit for under $100.
As for the Domino! TAKE HIM BACK THEY ARE MEAN!!!!! mine killed three Goby's before I took him back.
I still have CC in a 125g about 75lb of the stuff. I was in the same situation that you are in. what I did was I Vac. really good and put about another 75 of south down on top of it and 25 lb of LS. I seem to be ok now.
A=0 trites =0 trates= 5 time for a water change.

fishphreak

Tizzo,
I did NOT kill or injure my fish. My YELLOW TAIL KILLED one of my fish and was after the other one, I had to do something. No harm done. All my fish are alive and well BECAUSE of what I did. They all get along great now.
I didn't harm my fish. I did what the pet store told me to do and it WORKED. All my fish are alive right now because of what I did wheather you agree with the tactics or not. To be fair this is my first sw tank and that was the first problem I had and I didn't know what else to do...like I said I was just going by what the pet store told me.
For future reference I don't plan on doing it again....I know it can be stressful especially to more passive fish.
I was just trying to keep my fish alive, that's all.
Now can you all stop giving me a hard time :)
I have only been doing this for 2 months and have only had my fish for about 1 month....so it was inevitable that I made a mistake, ok? :)

T

tizzo

FishPhreak,
No, No, No,... I was AGREEING with what you did!! I didn't think it was cruel at all.. considering what that fish did. Let me clarify, I was actually responding to SagxMan. He suggested chasing you around with a net in a small glass enclosed corner for a few hours... I'm saying that if you killed somebody (like your fish did) , then YES I believe that I would like to see you chased around a room with a net, that's all.:)

sagxman

And to add in my little appology, I think what you were doing might have not been in the best interrest of other fish in the tank, but your original post sounded like you were punishing your damsel by keeping him netted against the side of the glass.
My mistake if I misunderstood. :)

nudibranch

Get rid of the damsel. After working in various LFSs I've seen may people with dead fish as a result of a domino, and I've see even more people bring domino's back because they almost killed another fish.
CC...get it out. IMO CC is good for African Cichlids and that's about it (that said, I'd probably use sand this time around anyways for Afr. Cich.). I know you want to spend you $$ on fish. I understand that. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. But look at it this way. You remove you LR and put it in a bucket w/ tank water, all of a sudden you can get your damsel out pretty easily. You take out the CC, replace with LS and add your rock back. Then once everything is back up and running you can add your clownfish w/o putting your prize fish through the stress of redoing your tank.
Just an idea

thedraven

I agree... Im new to the hobby too, and Ive had to learn the hard way about fish aggression. Two tips: dump your damsels and dont mix clown species (especially tomatos). These fish mightl tear others to shreds or torture them until they get stressed/sick/dead. My main recommendation: read up on EVERY SINGLE FISH you plan to add to avoid problems.
:happyfish

debbie

Hi, I am very new to the salt water hobby too. I "knock on wood" have a 10 gal nano going and I am really enjoying it greatly. It is my pride and joy.
I have crushed coral in my tank and am quite happy with it. I vacum it weekly and have no problems. If you are planning on changing to sand though, you would be best to do this before you stock your tank. So much easier and alot easier on the fish too.
As for damsels and clowns, I can only speak for my situation. I am very lucky and have one green chromis and one tomato clown. The odd time the clown will put the run on the chromis but for the most part it is so nice to sit and watch all the action in my tank and how peacful it is.
I have not experienced dominos but have heard from many people they can be very nasty little fish. Your best guide if you are unsure on what to do is watch that domino really closley if you decide to keep it with your clowns.
If it were me I would take back the damsel if you can and get yourself a couple of clowns, believe me they are entertainers

As for the anemone, I don't have the proper lighting nor tank space for one so I went with a "ricordea" they are neat, look somewhat like an anemone and my piece is small right now and my clown trys to get into it and it is so funny.
Take this hobby slow, it is expensive but can be enjoyable as I have learned :yes:
Best of luck to you
.........Debbie