New guy needs help

daboys

I am new to saltwater fish. I feed my fish twice a day. 10gal tank 6 small fish and 2 anemones.

daboys

I just want to know if Im feeding them too much? I also have the fishtank about a foot away from my window (does not get direct sun light) is that too close?

sly

It depends on your readings on your water tests. If you are not showing too many nitrates, etc and don't have algae problems then you may not have too many fish. Idealy you should have 1 inch of fish per 5 gal of water in saltwater tanks, but that's with basic filtration. I usually feed once a day, sometimes once every other day. Also if your temp does not fluctuate being close to the window then you may be fine. Temp should not vary more than about 3 degrees.

saltymist

Ummmm, actually the rule of inches of fish per gallon is a farse, and is more like a myth at this point.
Take for example, if you have five 1 inch neon tetras and a 5" oscar. Obviously the oscar is going to put out more waste product than all 5 of the 1 inch neons are.
It's not a good rule to rely on at all, so I wouldnt even bring it up anymore to avoid having people overload their systems.
As far as over feeding, I dont personally think so, but Im not able to stand above you and see just how much you are feeding at each feeding.
6 small fish in a 10 gallon? AND 2 anemones? What type of lighting, what types of fish? I dont think I'd keep an anemone in a tank anything smaller than a 55 gallon tank because if they die, it can pollute the tank of 10 gallon size pretty darn quick, and could cause death to all inhabitants.
Goodluck,

greatfullreefer

Originally posted by SaltyMist
Take for example, if you have five 1 inch neon tetras and a 5" oscar. Obviously the oscar is going to put out more waste product than all 5 of the 1 inch neons are.
Goodluck,

This statement is true!
Only because in that situation the 5" Oscar would eat all 5 Neons, so not only is he eating his own share of food but he is also eating whatever the neons had for breakfeast.