new guy on the block upgrading my 55 to 120

scoobzilla

ok currently have a 55 gal saltwater fish only for about 3 years went thru some fish in 1st year.now have 8 to 10in lionfish,8 to 10in panther grouper and a 20 in snowflake eal, moon wrasse. for about 2 years now.have 4 pieces of instant reef artifiial coral,60 pounds of live sand and crushed coral 48in marineland reef led light.running old aqueon model 2 wet dry filter 30x10x14, 20 pounds of live rock in sump layers of bio balls and pading under drip,500 gpa mag drive pump,8 watt uv light.
upgrading to perfecto reef ready 1 overflow 120 gal tank. in procees of building stand out of 2x4 and 3/4 ply.looking to go eshopps 300 sump/refugium,protein skimmer eshopps 150,same sand from 55 and add 20 pds more,50 pds of live rock,possible ro/di unit.
would like to hear your opinions and ideas !

scoobzilla

how big do they really get?i feed them once a week 5 or 6 frozen silversides each about 3 in .what else can i feed them heard raw fish from maket is that good?

flower

I looked up the Grouper in my book:
It's adult size is listed as 27.6 inches, and needs a minimum 180g tank.
Your 55g looks awesome!
Oh and I almost forgot.................Welcome to the site!

snakeblitz33

A fish that size with those inhabitants need something wider than a 18.5" wide 180g. Think about an almost 30" fish turning around in 18.5" space. A minimum of a 240 gallon imho or at best a 300g to keep all your inhabitants long term

geridoc

I have the Eschopps 300 w/d, and I don't like it. The open area is too small, so that you can't get equipment into it. The area under the bioball chambers is cut off from the return area, so that there isn't sufficient room for long heaters in the sump. And, finally, the covers on the biomedia chambers are made of thin acrylic, and it warps in no time and you start to get water above the covers. That's just a few of my complaints, but I won't bore you with the full list. Just avoid this piece of equipment.

scoobzilla

new marineland 120 single overflow tank with DIY stand and eshopps 300 refugium.need some live rock.

count down 3 days

noah's nemo

I like the set up ..Where did you get those coral inserts ?
Snake is right about the grouper though..It will probably be OK in the new 120 for now but will need an even bigger tank soon.

jay0705

as far as food. raw table shrimp, marine fish flesh,clam,squid. they can eat what we eat from the ocean just un cooked. i go fishing in maine every year. when i get back. my lion loves fresh cod or haddock strips.just watch what you feed. you want good quality food. not old stuff

snakeblitz33

Those red and blue par38 led lamps have been growing algae pretty well. Thats the newest innovation in refugium lighting. If you want something more traditional route a $2.00 socket or a $5 ceramic socket and a $10 2700k floodlight. Par38 bulb uses less energy but it is...red. Lol.

snakeblitz33

I use one 65w floodlight over the top of my fuge. I replace it once every three to five months. I keep it on 24/7. here it costs me: 65x24x30/1000=46.8KJ/month 46.8x$0.084 = $3.93 per month to run 24/7

snakeblitz33

Macroalgae needs a lot of light. Pick one with a wide angle lens such as 80 to 90 degree optics as well as a minimum of 3w bulbs. How many bulbs - I couldn't tell you. I think the average is six to eight. But, I'm really not sure because I have never owned one to test it out.

scoobzilla

ok looking to add a clean up crew or inverts maybe some small fish in my refugium eshopps 300 sump about 30 gallons have a couple hermits and snails right now.cant add any in main tank wont last 3 seconds.was looking at diff packs on saltwaterfish.com.levels are low amm no nit ,60 nitra salinity is 18 to 19 ,kh 10,cal 420,.any suggestions

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobzilla http:///t/394888/new-guy-on-the-block-upgrading-my-55-to-120#post_3520439
ok looking to add a clean up crew or inverts maybe some small fish in my refugium eshopps 300 sump about 30 gallons have a couple hermits and snails right now.cant add any in main tank wont last 3 seconds.was looking at diff packs on saltwaterfish.com.levels are low amm no nit ,60 nitra salinity is 18 to 19 ,kh 10,cal 420,.any suggestions
Hi,
If you put critters besides copepods, amphipods or isopods, it isn't a refugium anymore....it's a fish tank.
As I understand it.... The refugium serves as a safe place for the tiny critters to breed....some get caught and swept out with the slow current and the fish, hermit crabs and such eat them for snacks. It's also a great place to grow macroalgae where the critters in the tank can't eat it up. If you put the eaters in there you defeat the purpose of it. Algae is okay in a refugium, you don't want to get rid of it because the algae feeds on the PO4 and NO3 even ammonia from the DT, and keeps your parameters pristine. If you add algae eaters, you won't get that benefit.
Having snails in a refugium because you can't keep them in the DT does nothing for the display at all. The whole reason for snails is to eat the slime algae as it develops on the glass, rock and sand.