new guy to sw

wimzcal

Hello,
Brand spanking new here, and boy do I have questions. I have had fw tanks my whole life, however I am beginning to realize that is not going to be any help in the sw world.
I want to put a sw tank in my office, I really like the reef systems, however I am beginning to realize how difficult they are to set up and maintain properly.
I would like to start with a little easier setup and then “grow” into a reef tank.
My first of many questions is if I add ls/lr to a sw tank does that make it more, or less difficult to maintain it?
Also as this tank will be I my office I will be away from it for 48 hours every week. (Saturday, and Sunday.) Is it possible to maintain a healthy sw tank with that schedule?

reefnut

Welcome, LR and LS will make the tank easier to maintain.
If this tank will be in your office, what size are you thinking of? For a beginner in SW the bigger the better... A bigger tank is more forgiving than a small one.

go with a 55 gal, with at least 60 lbs of live sand and 60 lbs of live rock at a minimum. fish can go two days without feeding. be sure to top off the tank with plain (unsalted) water weekly. go with fish only with live rock for now (FOWLR) - reefs / mini-reefs are for experienced hobbyists - much less forgiving of newbie-errors. cycle the tank first, then add fish gradually. read Michael Paletta's "The New Marine Aquarium" before doing anything.

leigh

Hi, welcome to the board!
Definitely doable. 50-90 gals would be a great size for an office tank. As they get smaller, they get more difficult--especially being gone 48 hrs every weekend you need to be more on the ball with a small tank. Live sand and live rock actually make a tank easier to take care of as they provide natural filtration! If you're really thinking reef long term, i would definitely start with a tank that's a fish only with live rock (fowlr)...put in a deep sand bed (which is about 4-5 inches of sand)...lots of live rock (at least a pound per gallon) and give the tank a month to "cycle". this is when the bacteria (good) in the water catches up to biological happenings in the tank--and this allows the tank to convert ammonia (which fish produce) into nitrite and then nitrate. ammonia and nitrite are both lethal to fish (and nitrate is bad in large quantities) but by letting the tank cycle for around a month (and i recommend cycling fishless--far more humane) this bacteria establishes itself and allows you to begin a nice ecosystem. from there you can buy some critters, ie a clean up crew, of snails, shrimp, crabs, etc... and slowly, with time add some fish (the size of the tank you choose and the number of fish you wish to have will dictate what/how many fish you can get)...when you get to that point post a wish list here and people will certainly give you lots and lots of feedback. the perk (aside from the improved filtration) from starting with a fowlr system, is that then down the road when you get the itch for a reef system, all you'll really need to do is upgrade your lights before you start adding corals. does this sound like a lot? really it's simpler than it sounds. just make sure you buy a reasonable size tank and be patient in the setup phase and you'll be successful. also, as a few other suggestions to help make a tank that is a bit more self sufficient--i would suggest that you put a protein skimmer on it, set a timer on the lights, and consider investing in an auto top-off system (i set one up for my tanks for a net cost of about $20...it's made my life much simpler). let the questions roll...!

wimzcal

Thank you for all the advice. I plan on a 55 gal tank. 60lbs fo LS, 60lbs of LR sound good. I can let the tank cycle for a month no problem. I am a patient person. Is their any danger in to much LR/LS?

cb

Welocme to the board The rule of thumb is a 4 to 6 inch sand bed and 1 to1 1/2 lbs of rock per gallon but it could be alittle or a little less depending on what you want.

leigh

Originally posted by wimzcal
Is their any danger in to much LR/LS?

LOL, no! But you do still want to leave some swimming room for the fishies :)
oh hey, btw, just noticed you're right up the road in royal oak (i'm in ann arbor). if you need any help and/or suggestions about some of the local fish places gimme a holler!

T

thomas712

Greetings, always like to welcome new members, sounds like some of the others have already taken care of the basics for you.
A 55 is a very good first choice for a SW tank in my opinion, I wish you good luck with it.
Thomas

nm reef

I'd also welcome you to the hobby...sounds like you've researched enough to have a basic plan and idea of what you'd like to develope.
A well established system can easily make it a few days without hands on attention...so I'd say weekends would be a minor problem that could be worked around. You've already got a basic idea of what you'd like....I'd suggest a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner for additional information...and check out the basic info on this link...Reefkeeping 101 for additional information.
Take the time to establish your new system and research each step of the process...be patient...and let us know how your new system developes. Don't hesitate to ask questions and seek information ...folks here will be glad to help as you progress. Best of luck!:cool:

nacl-man

Welcome to the board! I know I'm a little late as everyone else has already said 'hey' but whatever...
You look like you've got a good plan going there, research is the key to success in this hobby. If you have a question about something, the chances are that someone has "been there and done that" on this board. I've found it very informative.
What are your plans for filtration? Just powerheads or were you thinking of a skimmer and cannister.... or sump / refuge?? Something to think about. If you wanted to 'grow into' a reef tank I'd suggest setting up a sump/refuge now... it will save you lots of hassle and will 'plug n' play' into pretty much any new tank / system you decide to setup!
Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!
Cheers!

wimzcal

Thanks for all the advice, you guy/girls are very helpfull.
I also need some advice on filtration. I was planning on a skimmer and canister.
Good/Bad what do you think?
Leigh I would love some advice on what LFS to use. I have found 2 that seem OK.
One in Eastpoint, and one in Royal Oak.
However I would like to find one that is staffed with knowledgeable people, and has healthy animals.