New Hammer!

clown123

just got a new hammer in my 20g n i was wondering if they like fast or slow current and what they eat?

speg

Its gonna need flow but you want it to be a pretty weak flow.
They can eat meaty foods. Krill pieces, silverside pieces, etc etc. Although I cannot honestly say that mine has ever accepted any of those. I have heard others say theirs does though.

clown123

well its kinda deflated rite now its been in the tank for about an hour i have it in my 20g with a coralife with one 10,000k lite an an actinic is that good i have 28watts in the tank overall! that why i havent been posting trying to fix all my tanks!

lemonpeel2

No that wattage is not good at all!!!! Hammers like moderate lighting with moderate flow, maybe 4-5 watts of metal halide lighting per gallon at the least. You should really upgrade soon or give it to someone that can support this coral, If you do upgrade, you should feed it weekly in the form of brine shrimp or micro-plankton. I really hope you do something quick or you will have that coral no more.
By the way what are your water parameters.

speg

You certainlly dont need metal halides for it. Though 28 watts does seem pretty low... is it two 28 watt bulbs or something? Or is that the total wattage?

lemonpeel2

I have MH over mine and each of my branches are the size of softballs. I beleive he said 28 watts total, which is way to low, 3 watts per gallon for any reef tank should be the minimum. He should atleast have 60 watts of VHO or PC lighting overall.

jmick

I’m really surprised that you’d try you luck with hammer coral. Haven’t you already tried Xenia and it didn’t work out and didn’t you also have poor results with various anemones? What makes you think the hammer will thrive in your system? Not trying to flame you, just trying to figure out how you think you’ll have luck with this coral?

alyssia

Originally Posted by Jmick
I’m really surprised that you’d try you luck with hammer coral. Haven’t you already tried Xenia and it didn’t work out and didn’t you also have poor results with various anemones? What makes you think the hammer will thrive in your system? Not trying to flame you, just trying to figure out how you think you’ll have luck with this coral?

Me, or clown? I'm assuming clown b/c I've never had xenia

lemonpeel2

You should really do some research on the specimens before you buy them, that way you can enjoy them for a long period of time, and so you dont' get fustrated when they die or don't do well. Just lookin' out for a fellow "Reefer".

alyssia

Originally Posted by LemonPeel2
You should really do some research on the specimens before you guy them, that way you can enjoy them for a long period of time, and so you dont' get fustrated when they die or don't do well. Just lookin' out for a fellow "Reefer".

IDK if you're referring to me or not, but I always do research. I was told on here that PC's would be fine for a hammer. The only other corals I have are GSP, shrooms, a bubble and ricordias and all are doing great under PC's.

alyssia

Originally Posted by LemonPeel2
Lol no your cool, I was referring to clown. Sorry I did not make that clear.

clown123

well i have xeinas in my 24g nano that r living now n the hammer is fully out in the 20g but that probably wont last very long!

alyssia

Originally Posted by clown123
idk like id say 60-65 in my nano i think idk for sure!

If you don't know then you shouldn't waste your money on anything else.