New here, 35g long?

watcher

Hi I'm new here, I've been keeping saltwater for over 3 years(reefs) so I won't make the dumb mistakes, hopefully, ;)
I'd like to use a 35g long tank for a snowflake eel, a dwarf lion or a Fu man chu, and say a large striped damsel(I know it could possibly be eaten when the eel and lion grow up)
what is easier to convert to frozen foods, a fu man chu or a dwarf?
can i even keep all these fish in a 3 foot long tank? I know I'm pushing it with the eel.
thanks for your response

grouperhead

First off, I'd like to welcome you to this board. It is always growing with new members and we are very glad to have you. Now on to your question,,,,,
IMO, dwarf lions need at least a 55g. A sfe will be fine in a 35g. If you want another agressive fish to go with your eel, why not look into a hawkfish of some sort. They stay a managable size for your tank, and are very cool to watch. Bo

watcher

what about a couple of damsels? This tank is more for the eel than anything so I'm not to angry about the lion, I could get a couple of blue devils or something right? They wouldn't harm the eel?

watcher

Is there a chance I could use a clean up crew in this tank, if I keep the eel fed?
What kind of inverts should I get? More crabs?

kev

Why couldnt a dwarf go in a 35? Awhile back I posted on whats the smallest tank for a dwarf lion to go in. I got alot of answers from sharks saying that its ok to have one in a 20 with a 10gal sump. So a 35 should be fine for a dwarf. :D

watcher

actually I've been for the last hour or so reading up on lionfish from old posts and I'm getting the impression that I could keep a sfe and a dwarf lionfish in my 35g tank,
then again I've never kept lionfish so I don't know

treble

Sounds like a good set-up, keep LR to a minimun for swiming space, and maybe put some clean PVC pipe in the rockwork, so the eel can go through it without nocking it over. Go with 2inches of sand, what filtration do you want to get?

watcher

haven't decided on that yet? Though for live rock I plan to make it so that should cut the cost down big time, I'm really looking forward to making some really nice tunnels and caves,
on filtration I'm thinking of using 2 aquaclear 200s(I got them with the tank, might as well use them)and either a lee's intank skimmer and caulerpa for filtration or a bak/pak 2.
I know the lee's intake skimmer has got some mixed results but with caulerpa also "skimming" I hope it will do the job.
What about for clean up crew? Can I keep anything with a lion and eel?

beach bum

Hi watcher, sounds like fun. I have had good luck training the dwarf fuzzies to take prepared food. No experience with the fu's but they appear to be alot more sedentary and finicky eaters in comparison. I rarely see a healthy Fu specimen in the stores, so the other dwarfs might give you a better selection to choose from.
HTH

grouperhead

Watcher, you could probably do a dwarf lion in a 35, I just wouldnt. Dwarf zebras can get around 7", so even though its a "dwarf" it still attains a rather large adult size. A dsb would be very beneficial, and so would live rock. Bo