New here

tad

Well I just found this place tonight, spent a few hours reading and then signed on.
My name is Troy Dean I live In West Linn, Oregon. 10 miles south of Portland.
I had a 55GalLon set up almost 20 years ago and just loved it. But then it happend I lost it, live rock and all. I was heart broken and just gave up.
Now I am starting the whole research thing over again. I am looking at a 29 gallon bio cube? I think thats the name of it. The shop I am thinking of working with is Up Scales. By far the nicest tanks in a shop I have ever seen.
Lots of questions for you guys and gals. I will do some search on the forums and see what I can find but will ask a few to start.
Do any of you in the Portland metro area know of any other shops that are worth taking a look at? Is 330.00 a decent price on the 29 bio cube? Live rock is 5.95lb unless you buy 20 or more lbs then its 5.00 a lb is that a fair deal?
I will be having a reef and small fish to start w/29 but if things go well I might build a in-wall tank in my new to me house within a year or so. I will be relying on the shop and you folks for most if not all of the advise I need.
Well thats it for starters, Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings. Troy

First of all, welcome to SWF.com!!
You've already made one of the best decisions you can in this hobby... research before you buy. Doing that will save you lots of money and heartache in the long run.
I don't live in Oregon, so I can't help with the LFS question, but you might also consider looking into local marine aquarium clubs. Networking with other people in your area who are also in the hobby has a lot of benefits. The local club I belong to often does group buys and people are always selling used equipment, coral frags and fish.
$330 for a 29 gallon biocube is a little high, but not overly so. I've seen them for sale on several online stores for $299. Perhaps your LFS would price match?
My LFS sells live rock for $5.99 per pound for the regular stuff and $10.99 per pound for the show quality pieces.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by TAD
http:///forum/post/2964873
Do any of you in the Portland metro area know of any other shops that are worth taking a look at? Is 330.00 a decent price on the 29 bio cube? Live rock is 5.95lb unless you buy 20 or more lbs then its 5.00 a lb is that a fair deal?
Welcome!
OK bio cube is a popular tank. 330 is not really good price. Do some digging I saw one for 240 the other day. LR hear on SWF.COM is about the best deal your going to find anywhere.
They have a great special going on. I wouldn't go with the skimmer included in the bio cube, so don't tack that on...look into something better. Some people say they would upgrade the pump as well, but Ive heard the opposite too. The people in the nano tank section would be able to tell you all about the bio cube.
Its a good system IMO, my dad is getting one for himself, as his first dive into the reef world.
I don't know any local stores in your area...but I do know some people who live by. I live about 3 hours away myself. I can ask them. I have a guy coming up from Portland tomorrow to deliver some lights and a skimmer to my door, he will know all the local stores. Ill PM you later.
And again, welcome.

C

cmaxwell39

Welcome to SWF.com.
I am not sure on the prices on the biocube, but the prices on the live rock seems fair to me. My LFS gets $7.50 a lb for the stuff he has which is why I cherry picked a few nice peices from him and ordered the rest online. I have ordered the live rock from here twice before. One time it was really nice stuff, lots of variety of shapes and sizes and very pourous. The other time it was a couple of large peices and then a couple of medium size peices and it was quite dense. Both of these were 45-50# shipments. So it is a gamble. For the price it is worth the gamble IMO.
Once again, welcome Troy. I am sure you will find this site very helpful to your saltwater adventure. I know that I have. Keep us updated.

tad

Thanks for the welcome. Also I look forward to the pm about local shops to start this journy with.
I went to three shops today and two of the three had good looking tanks, the other was filthy. I am not sure how people could buy stuff from the one and put it in there tanks.
My head is really spinning now that ive been looking to buy. I am not sure the bio cube is a good deal. I am sure I will find lots of input on smaller tanks when I use the search function. Thats where i will be for a few hours.
Could you all do me a favor and decode all the abbrevations for me?
Thanks again, Troy

Here's a list that one of the boards long time members, Beth, put together....
AC=Activated Carbon, or Alternating Current
Admin=Saltwaterfish.com owners
AFM=Aquarium Fish Monthly, magazine
ALK=Alkalinity, measure of buffering capacity of water
BB=Bulletin Board
BOD=Biological oxygen demand
BTA=Bubble Tip Anemone
BTW=By the way
Ca=Calcium
CaCl2=Calcium chloride
CaCO3=Calcium carbonate
Ca(OH)2=Calcium hydroxide
CBS=Coral Banded Shrimp
CC=Counter current(when referring to skimmers)
CC also = Crushed Coral
CCS = Chocolate Chip Star
Cl=Chlorine
CO2=Carbon dioxide
CO3=Carbonate
CTA=Cellulose triacetate, type of RO membrane
Cu=Copper
CYANO=Cyanobacteria
DC=Direct current
DD=Downdraft, type of protein skimmer
DI=Deionisation, type of water purification
DIY=Do it yourself
dKH=Degrees of carbonate hardness, measure of alkalinity
DO=Dissolved oxygen
DOC=Dissolved organic compound
DSB=Deep sand bed
FAMA=Freshwater and Marine Aquaria, magazine
Fe=Iron
FO=Fish only, type of marine aquarium
FOWLR=Fish only with Live Rock
FW=Freshwater
FWIW= For What Its Worth
FYI=For your information
GAC=Granular Activated Carbon
GAL=Gallon
GBR=Great Barrier Reef
GPH=Gallons per hour
GSP=Green Star Polyps
HCO3=Hydrogen carbonate
HO=High output fluorescent light
HT=Hospital Tank
HTH=Hope this helps
HOT=Hang On Tank
HYPO=Hyposalinity
I=Iodide
I2=Iodine
ID=Identity
IE=Internet Explorer, WWW browser
IME=In my experience
IMHO=In my humble/honest opinion
IMO=In my opinion
IO3=Iodate
IR=Infrared, type of light with longer wavelength than visible light
ISP=Internet service provider
jk=Just kidding
KALK=Kalkwasser, German for calcium hydroxide solution or limewater
KI=Potassium iodide
LFS=Local fish store
LHS=Local hardware store
LOL=Laughing out loud, or Lots of Luck
LPH=Litres per hour
LPS=Large polyped Scleractinian (stoney) coral OR
LPS=Local Pet Shop
LR=Live rock
LS=Live Sand
LT=Litre
M2=Maracyn Two for saltwater fish which is an antibiotic medication
MACNA=Marine Aquaria Conference of North America, held annually
MASNA=Marine Aquarium Society of North America
MEQ/L=Milli-equivalents per litre, measure of alkalinity
Mg=Magnesium
MG/L=Milligrams per litre
MH=Metal halide, lighting
MJ = Maxijet powerhead
MO=Mail order
Mod=Bulletin Board moderator
Na=Sodium
NaCO3=Sodium carbonate
NaOH=Sodium hydroxide
NH3=Ammonia
NH4=Ammonium
NNR=Natural nitrate reduction, reef setup technique
NO=Normal output fluorescent light
NO2=NitrIte
NO3=NitrAte
NSW=Natural seawater
O2=Oxygen
ORP=Oxidative redox potential
PBT=Powder Blue Tang
PC=Power compact, high intensity fluorescent light
pH=Measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions, equal to -log[H+], (7 acidic, =7 neutral,)7 basic
PH=Powerhead, water circulator
PIA = Pain in the Backside(or similar location)
PLS/PLZ=Please
PO4=Phosphate
QT=Quarantine Tank
OT also=Off Topic
PPM=Parts per million, equivalent to mg/l (milligrams per litre)
PVC=Poly vinyl chloride, used for piping/plumbing
RO=Reverse osmosis, type of water purification
RO/DI=Reverse osmosis, followed by deionisation, type of water purification
ROFL=Rolling on the floor laughing
ROFLOL=Rolling on the floor laughing out loud
ROTFL=Rolling on the floor laughing
ROTFLMAO=Rolling on the floor laughing my *** off
RTN=Rapid tissue necrosis
RUGF=Reverse flow undergravel filter
SAL=Salinity
SG=Specific gravity
SHO=Super high output fluorescent light, equivalent to power compact fluorescent
Si=Silicon
SiO2=Silicon dioxide
SPS=Small polyped Scleractinian (stoney) coral
Sr=Strontium
SW=Saltwater/seawater
SWF.com=Saltwaterfish.com
TDS= Total Dissolved Solids
TFC=Thin film composite, type of RO membrane
TIA= thanks in advance
TY=Thank You
TTYL= talk to you later
UGF=Under gravel filter
UV=Ultra violet, type of light/ultra violet sterilizer
VHO=Very high output fluorescent light
W=Watts
WMC=Western Marine Conference, United States
WTB=Want to Buy

naclh2o nut

Take a breath. WOW, I was unaware of the college degree needed to surf this site.

Tad, Welcome, ask and you shall recieve. Good luck with you tank. I am like you had an experience that turned me off the salt world. But since then, it has changed. More access to answers more opinions to sort through and advances in the equipement. Before the only answers came from the guy behind the register.
This site has been great!

tad

How long does it take before you get PMing privlages? I guess they make sure your not trying to sell stuff or pick up a date?

the_hadleys

Welcome!

We're pretty new to the hobby but we purchased a Red Sea Max, 34 gallon tank and just love it. It was a really simple set up for newbs and IMO the size is great. I'm thinking we paid too much money - I won't say how much for embarassment but it was a lot more than the $600 you mentioned... Don't regret it though. I'd recomend it.
We used to live just outside of Portland (Scappoose/St. Helens) and the only places I can think of with great service and variety are All About Pets in Scappoose - mom and pop shop, knowledgeable people, clean place but it's not just a fish store, has pet supplies and stuff too....
The other place my hubby and I went to a lot was The Wet Spot, you'll have to google it for an address, I'm terrible at directions... We went there for our fresh water tank all the time... Big store, lots of selection, nice people.
Hope that helps!!

tad

Thank you very much for the info. When I bought my first house 12 years ago we looked out in the scappoose - st helens area. Very nice area but to far from work.

redsea

Originally Posted by TAD
http:///forum/post/2964873
Well I just found this place tonight, spent a few hours reading and then signed on.
My name is Troy Dean I live In West Linn, Oregon. 10 miles south of Portland.
I had a 55GalLon set up almost 20 years ago and just loved it. But then it happend I lost it, live rock and all. I was heart broken and just gave up.
Now I am starting the whole research thing over again. I am looking at a 29 gallon bio cube? I think thats the name of it. The shop I am thinking of working with is Up Scales. By far the nicest tanks in a shop I have ever seen.
Lots of questions for you guys and gals. I will do some search on the forums and see what I can find but will ask a few to start.
I will be having a reef and small fish to start w/29 but if things go well I might build a in-wall tank in my new to me house within a year or so. I will be relying on the shop and you folks for most if not all of the advise I need.
Well thats it for starters, Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings. Troy
welcome to the boards!!!!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by TAD
http:///forum/post/2967750
How long does it take before you get PMing privlages? I guess they make sure your not trying to sell stuff or pick up a date?
Welcome to the boards!! Once you are a member for two weeks you will be able to enable your PM feature in your user control panel.

dskrezyna

TAD,
Welcome to SWF.com!
I lived in Portland from 2000-2002 and frequented "The Wet Spot." From what I recall they had some nice fish, both FW and SW. I am unsure of their current prices or inventory but you should check them out if you are in the area.
The Wet Spot
4310 NE Hancock St
Portland, OR 97213
(503) 287-3339