new home new tank!!!

valgae

i'm hoping to start looking and own a home within the next six months.yay. i want to do a room divider/ bar tank. 3 sides visible i'm looking at a glass cages 180 72x24x25 or 240 72x24x31 (same footprint) w/ starfire glass. the tank will be butted completely against the wall or maybe a little in it. i think i want to do a glass-hole dart over flow, and an additional overhead closed loop. i've always been interested in coral and critters more so than fish. but i want to try a FOWLR , but not an agressive set up. these are some fish i'm looking at, in order that i like the most...
LOPEZI TANG
YELLOW TANG- IN MY CURRENT TANK
SAILFIN TANG
BLACK TANG
2- GOLD STRIPE MAROONS- HAVE ONE ALREADY
SCHOOL OF @ 11 BLUE CHROMIS
ACHILLES- IS A 240 BIG ENOUGH?
ATLANTIC BLUE TANG
do ya'll think this list is ok? any suggestions are welcome. also additional equipment includes: asm g4 skimmer, 100g sump/fuge, mag18 for closed loop, phosband reactor, maybe a cal reactor later on, for lighting 72" aqualight pro (i have the 24" on my current tank,love it). uv unit? don't have expericence wth these. i'm a big beliver in hypo before adding fish to our DT. i've never had any sign of ich in any of my tanks. i think that is it for now. discuss-- haha

aquaknight

Assuming this is the last or the biggest tank you'll have for a while,
The Lopezi is definitely out. A 6 footer is not really appropriate long term for Naso genus fish. If you're ready to drop $500+ for the Black Tang, my nerves would be quite high mixing it with the other Zebrasoma tangs.
If you want a UV unit, you'll need to look for one above 40watts. This will basically be for just algae control, you'll never fight disease off in a tank with a UV unit. No point to a calc reactor in a fowlr.
I would recommend visiting a LFS or someone in a reef club in your area with a 30" tall tank. Every I've heard from that has a tall tank regrets it. I personally would go longer and wide, then taller.

crypt keeper

fish have the entire ocean to swim. we control them to feet. Longer is always better. Fish swim side to side. Not up and down. 8 feet longer is best

valgae

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3145667
Assuming this is the last or the biggest tank you'll have for a while,
you assume correct.
The Lopezi is definitely out. A 6 footer is not really appropriate long term for Naso genus fish. If you're ready to drop $500+ for the Black Tang, my nerves would be quite high mixing it with the other Zebrasoma tangs.
so what would be an ideal length for a lopezi? i really would like one and my lfs gets them about once a month.

If you want a UV unit, you'll need to look for one above 40watts. This will basically be for just algae control, you'll never fight disease off in a tank with a UV unit. No point to a calc reactor in a fowlr.
i might try some sps later on after my tank matures. so i was just thinking about a cal reactor.

I would recommend visiting a LFS or someone in a reef club in your area with a 30" tall tank. Every I've heard from that has a tall tank regrets it. I personally would go longer and wide, then taller.
haha. my tank now is 30" and a pain to clean the glass. point taken!
thanks for your input.

small triggers

this is inthe end also going to be totally dependant on the house you buy too... (have you thought of building>??? get exactly what you want and NOW its cheaper to build than buy,,,)

valgae

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3145819
this is inthe end also going to be totally dependant on the house you buy too... (have you thought of building>??? get exactly what you want and NOW its cheaper to build than buy,,,)
well i really like big open floor plans. there're are a lot of homes around here that are like this. in the end it does depend on the home. yes i have thought about building but being that i'm 27, single, and no kids, it seems kinda a waste to build a four bedroom home. i'd rather wait till i'm done kissing frogs to build.

jaodissa

Originally Posted by VALgae
http:///forum/post/3146290
well i really like big open floor plans. there're are a lot of homes around here that are like this. in the end it does depend on the home. yes i have thought about building but being that i'm 27, single, and no kids, it seems kinda a waste to build a four bedroom home. i'd rather wait till i'm done kissing frogs to build.

You wont be kissing many calling them frogs

valgae

oh man! this might be happening sooner than i thought. a house in my aunts neighborhood might be going up for sale pretty soon. she is going to a nursing home and selling the house to pay for her care. it hasn't gone up yet. its property value is at 70,000 and is a 4b/2 1/2b which is really cheap for this neighborhood. so a plus on that. think i'm going to go w/ the 96x24x25 tank . we'll see, keep your fingers crossed.

choprjohn

With a taller tank theres always a problem with light penetration to the lower depths. That can be solved with Metal Halide lights. but remember MH is also short for Much Heat, & you need to add a chiller....Johnnie