New Introduction from a new guy

trrack2far

Hello everyone,
My name is Dave, I live in Longview Texas and I'm already a reef-a-holic!

Just so you guys will know up front, I can get a bit long winded, so if you dont mind that too much???
Well, on and off over the years, I have entertained the idea of having a SW Aquarium. (I do have a bit of FW experience). Now, the time has come for me to take the plunge. Over the last several weeks, I have been lurking here and there and visiting so many SW related sites that it makes my head swim. (puns intended).
As recommended in several places, it is wise to make a plan. So I have been planning. I will be going with primarily Soft Corals, Zoas, and Shrooms, plenty of Live Rock and Live Sand and a couple of cool small fish of some sort which are still TBD. And dont let me forget the clean up guys too.
So here is my predicament. The LFS here in my town are basically non-existant so there isnt much of an opportunity for me to actually see the real thing...(namely, a tank!!!) And I have been unable to find a local SWF club to talk to others about or see some of what they might have.
My tank will be a 20sih gallon tank. I would prefer to get one of the 'Kit" tanks as I understand they have about everything one needs to start out in this outstanding hobby.
I have seen the JBJ, Aquapods and Eclipse tanks. To be honest, I didnt care for the Eclipse as I didnt feel it was really thought out well for Saltwater (but I may be wrong...remember, Im new).
The JBJ & Aquapod are nice tank and I think well (enough) thought out but at least for me, it just didnt do it for me visually. The Square shape just didnt do it for me.....I would prefer a more traditional rectangular shaped tank.
So, off to the internet I have gone to find something that fits my eye and fits my financial and space budget. I will admit that after reading for hours on end, I may THINK I know what Im talking about when in reality Im sure I havent even got my foot wet.
I was hoping some of you good people may have had some experience with these tanks that are at the moment on my list and could offer advice on the quality and reputation of them. So below is a very brief description of them. (I would post a link but i think there is some rule about not doing that).
a) Cadlights 22g nano aquarium
b) Finnex 20g M-Tank
All thought, concerns and comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
dd
PS. Also please forgive me as I have to still learn a lot about navitating this forum and learning its format.

txmedic1

welcome to the world of saltwater. i'm new also, recently posted a thread with my frustrations, but dont let it deter you. we have some great stores down here in houston, but kinda far to get fish or coral. again, welcome and good luck!

reefreak29

hi dave , welcome to the boards .just an fyi theres a nano tank forum on here that would probably be much more informative for your questions

trrack2far

Originally Posted by txmedic1
welcome to the world of saltwater. i'm new also, recently posted a thread with my frustrations, but dont let it deter you. we have some great stores down here in houston, but kinda far to get fish or coral. again, welcome and good luck!
Thank for the welcome Txmedic...yup...Houston is a bit far for me. :)

trrack2far

Originally Posted by reefreak29
hi dave , welcome to the boards .just an fyi theres a nano tank forum on here that would probably be much more informative for your questions
Hi Reef, Ive seen the nano section and read a lot there. Thanks for the reminder. I will make it my next stop!
Dave

monalisa

Welcome to the addiction!! Hmmmm, I wonder how long it will take for your 20-ish gallon SW tank to turn into a 37, 46, or one of each (those are the size tanks I have :hilarious ). You're going to love this site. Very knowledgable people who are very willing to share that knowledge.
Good luck with your new project...it's always exciting to see someone else get sucke...uh, I mean, get interested.

Again, welcome!!
Lisa :happyfish

petjunkie

Well between the Finnex and Cadlights would be basically whether you would like acyrlic or glass. Acyrlic is clearer and stronger but also very easy to scratch, glass is heavier and breakable. I would have loved a Finnex when they still made glass tanks but the Cadlights are quite nice also. I have an Aquapod with halide as it was more affordable.
Also I live in the same situation as you basically and the internet is your friend. There are many good retailers with guarentees and quality fish, live rock and corals. You aren't allowed to discuss any on this site but a little bit of research should make clear who is reputable. Some good advice is go slow and do your research. Good luck with your nano, it will be lots of headaches at first but lots of fun and will most likely led to bigger tanks very quickly.

mie

Welcome to the forum and the hobby. first of all do yourself a favor and go to craigslist and do a search in dallas,tx i think that is your closest city.anyways you can score a killer setup with everything for next to nothing. I just checked and there was a complete sw 100 setup for 500 bucks thats a hell of a deal

trrack2far

Originally Posted by mie
Welcome to the forum and the hobby. first of all do yourself a favor and go to craigslist and do a search in dallas,tx i think that is your closest city.anyways you can score a killer setup with everything for next to nothing. I just checked and there was a complete sw 100 setup for 500 bucks thats a hell of a deal

I did look up craiglist for Tyler/ Longview - Nada.
100g for 500 is more than worth driving to Dallas for though. Im gonn look that one up! It prolly wont last long!
thanks
Dave

trrack2far

Originally Posted by petjunkie
Well between the Finnex and Cadlights would be basically whether you would like acyrlic or glass. Acyrlic is clearer and stronger but also very easy to scratch, glass is heavier and breakable. I would have loved a Finnex when they still made glass tanks but the Cadlights are quite nice also. I have an Aquapod with halide as it was more affordable.
Also I live in the same situation as you basically and the internet is your friend. There are many good retailers with guarentees and quality fish, live rock and corals. You aren't allowed to discuss any on this site but a little bit of research should make clear who is reputable. Some good advice is go slow and do your research. Good luck with your nano, it will be lots of headaches at first but lots of fun and will most likely led to bigger tanks very quickly.
Hey petjunkie,
Ive been contemplating the glass vs acrylic too. I like the glass because knowing me, I would scratch the acrylic just trying to clean it. That magnetic cleaner seems to me to be a nice gadget and might make glass the most cleaner friendly of the two. (i think i read dont use it on acrylic).
Dave