New Kenya Tree...Help!!!

I bought a new Kenya Tree on Saturday. It was beautiful at the store. The guy told me to keep in the low portion of our Tank...We did it stayed all shrivled up so we moved it up after we read that it likes medium to high light. It looks little better but still very sad

My Lights - 2-250 mh with vho and actinics
Water Flow- light to moderate
If someone nows the best placement for him please let me know...Thanks

groupergenius

Mine did the same thing. Keep it low to mid and let it settle is what I did. Now it's the biggest thing in my tank and I have 3 babies from it. It shrivled up like a broccoli then over time opened back up.
BTW, when I first got it I had 150W MH on a 15 gallon tank. Now it's in a 90 with 2-250W MH and still happy mid way.
The broccoli stage lasted about 3-4 weeks till it was happy. Likes just enough flow to lightly move it around ever so gently.

UMMMM yeah, I don't know what they were running, but I told him what we were running because we bought a Clam, a Brain Coral and a flowerpot coral..everything is very happy except the kenya tree. and the guy said that our lights and everything would be ok for what we were buying...

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
Mine did the same thing. Keep it low to mid and let it settle is what I did. Now it's the biggest thing in my tank and I have 3 babies from it. It shrivled up like a broccoli then over time opened back up.
BTW, when I first got it I had 150W MH on a 15 gallon tank. Now it's in a 90 with 2-250W MH and still happy mid way.
The broccoli stage lasted about 3-4 weeks till it was happy. Likes just enough flow to lightly move it around ever so gently.
Thanks... I was getting worrid that we were gonna kill it!!! I will keep an eye on it and see if just takes some time to settle in

groupergenius

Originally Posted by schmidthouse
UMMMM yeah, I don't know what they were running, but I told him what we were running because we bought a Clam, a Brain Coral and a flowerpot coral..everything is very happy except the kenya tree. and the guy said that our lights and everything would be ok for what we were buying...
Also be aware that soft corals and stonies can "battle" once in a while. My SPS freaked out once and slimed up the tank and caused my kenya much stress. Actually, thats when I got my 2 baby trees. The slime from the SPS wrapped on the Kenya and it dropped 2 branches.
Survival of the most willing to propogate I guess.

flricordia

Wish I had a problem with kenya tree. Put a 2" frag in the 240 bout 6 months ago and now it is everywhere. Up near the MH, down on the sand, growing in the dark crevices of the LR. Sorry can't help. It seems to grow in all areas as far as I can tell. Beginning to hate it.
Tank parameters are
Salinity 35ppt
ph 8.4
temp 78-82
975wt MH 14k
440wt actinic
if this helps

groupergenius

Originally Posted by Flricordia
Wish I had a problem with kenya tree. Put a 2" frag in the 240 bout 6 months ago and now it is everywhere. Up near the MH, down on the sand, growing in the dark crevices of the LR. Sorry can't help. It seems to grow in all areas as far as I can tell. Beginning to hate it.
Tank parameters are
Salinity 35ppt
ph 8.4
temp 78-82
975wt MH 14k
440wt actinic
if this helps
Did ya check your overflows yet???

flricordia

Did ya check your overflows yet???

lol. been pulling GSP from those. Covering the back wall.

newbieabc

My kenya trees in one area of the tanks have shriveld up ,too. They have been in the tank for about a year now, Think they will open up soon?

renogaw

and older kenya like yours shrivelling up usually means it dropped some branches.
OMG flric... that gsp is nuts!

flricordia

ITs in a 240 tank I built and maintain for a friend. Everything in there grows like crazy. What is nice is we are good friends and I can keep my corals in there and frag hers if I want. lol. Sorry for hijack.

check out the size of these shrooms