New life

noobzilla

I've been really busy over the last couple months and have barely had enough time to feed my fish, let alone do any major work on my tank (other then break the sump). Everything's happy and I even have some new life growing! This looks like some of the plastic plants I have in my FW tank, an ID would be great if anyone can!

I finally freed up enough time to rebuild a new sump, and get some cleaning done on my tank. I did a partial remodel of my house, and now am thinking of setting up my 150G in the wall between my kitchen and living room, but that's a project for next time I get bored.

noobzilla

Good to know, thanks! If I plan on cutting any out, I will keep you in mind, but for the moment it's helping fill a gap in my corals.

S

saxman

You'll want to get rid of the Caulerpa taxifolia (the green feathery stuff on the left), as it will overgrow anything else you keep unless you're very aggressive in pruning it. You'll also want to freeze any of it you pull out for 24 hrs before tossing it to be sure it's dead.
The green round-"leaved" macro on the right is Halimeda
(AKA money plant), a calcareous macro that is pretty nice stuff.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobzilla http:///t/395646/new-life#post_3522868
I've been really busy over the last couple months and have barely had enough time to feed my fish, let alone do any major work on my tank (other then break the sump). Everything's happy and I even have some new life growing! This looks like some of the plastic plants I have in my FW tank, an ID would be great if anyone can!

I finally freed up enough time to rebuild a new sump, and get some cleaning done on my tank. I did a partial remodel of my house, and now am thinking of setting up my 150G in the wall between my kitchen and living room, but that's a project for next time I get bored.
Hi,
Just in case you don't anything about macroalgae... Macroalgae absorbs nitrates (NO3) and Phosphates (PO4) out of your water, using it to grow, and is very beneficial. However you have to prune it to keep it from going crazy growing everywhere. Watch it, if it starts to look like it's breaking down...all the bad stuff it absorbed, will be dumped right back into the tank, so always remove anything that looks old and soft. Pruning it back (not to the nubs, leave a little) is called harvesting, and as you remove the extra growth, you also remove the PO4 and NO3...the macro will grow back, and absorb more bad stuff from your water keeping it pristine.
I keep the red macros in my seahorse tanks, I have it all over the place...but I think it's beautiful. You said that you have been neglecting your tank, just feeding the fish...well, those macros were keeping your parameters in line for you. Do as Saxman said about the green feathery stuff (Taxifolia), it's a bad as hair algae.

noobzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/395646/new-life#post_3522967
You'll want to get rid of the Caulerpa taxifolia (the green feathery stuff on the left), as it will overgrow anything else you keep unless you're very aggressive in pruning it. You'll also want to freeze any of it you pull out for 24 hrs before tossing it to be sure it's dead.
The green round-"leaved" macro on the right is Halimeda
(AKA money plant), a calcareous macro that is pretty nice stuff.
I've been keeping an eye on the green stuff, and plan on pulling it out this weekend when I do a water change and good cleaning. I've also got 3 aptashia (sp?) to kill while I'm at it.