New Lighting

jms10256

Just installed a Metal Halide lighting system on a 75 gallon aquarium. It consists of two 150 Watt 20k metal halide bulbs and two 40 watt atnic blue lights with moon lights. I currently have them set on timers the MHL come on at 1 PM and go off at 10 PM then the moon lights are on until 5 AM is this too much light?

littlebuck

imo i would not run them that much. i would start out with like 4 hours a day for a week or so and work up

jms10256

I only have base rock app. 100 lbs and have just orderd 45-50 lbs of fiji rock still leave on 4 hours only? I used damels to cycle tank!
Thank you!

littlebuck

well 1st thing never cycle ur tank with any fish. its very mean. :mad: If you only have LR in ur tank you can leave it on longer but i wouldnt over do it since ur tank might blow up with algee.

dogstar

Hi, welcome to the site
Do you run the 2 40watts till 5 am as well. I dont know what you keep in your system but because you have MH you must be keeping corals and long light cycles are fine but if you have fish then IMO a more 12/12 cycle is best for them. The moons are fine at night but for a fish it should be dark.

jms10256

Should I run the 40 watt currently I do not! Sorry have not lost any fish just want to build a nice reef. As stated earlier just base rock two pieces of fiji rock have ordered 45-50 lbs of additional fiju rock. Would like to start purchasing live corals! just a beginner! Thank you all for your input.
John

dogstar

Not at night. Thats what I meant. You can run them with the MH to accent the color if you like but they want help corals.