New Lighting

rickesco

Well It's time for me to buy new lighting for my 55 Gal. I have fish, LR, LS and a couple of anemones. Which would be the right light under 150 bucks.
Appreciate your opinions...
Rick

happyvac

Originally Posted by Rickesco
Well It's time for me to buy new lighting for my 55 Gal. I have fish, LR, LS and a couple of anemones
. Which would be the right light under 150 bucks.
Appreciate your opinions...
Rick
I don't think you could get lighting to sustain those for under $150.

fraggle_a

You can find a good Power Compact light for under $150.
My tank is a 40Gallon 36" long tank. I have a 30" PC duel light on it.
I paid $144 for it.
I had to modify the tank hood to accept it though. So I actualy have a Moonlight that run with my Duel PCs.
A good PC light will keep things going. My LTA (Anenomy) it quite happy with the light it has.
Later on down the line I plan to make myself a Metal Halide setup. If I do it right. I can get myself a 400Watt MH system going for about $120. Means some soldering, and some homegrown mtealwork. But it will be worth it.

happyvac

With $150 you could get a decent PC set-up. With retrofit you might be able to find one used for that much. Keep an eye out for MH set-ups in your area classifieds.

fraggle_a

Well.
It depends on your LFS really.
My newly found LFS does some really good deals on hardware.
My Satelite 24 hour light system PC cost me $144.
They usualy have a log of second hand equipment, tanks and what not.
Id start by looking online at prices to get a feel, then start checking out your local fish stores.

pontius

First, I would build a cheap wooden canopy if I were you. Then, you can:
1. buy a cheaper set of powercompact lights of the auction site. like the 48" 220 watt Jebo (I have one and don't have no problems with it, though some others don't like it). this would give you 4 watts per gallon which would PROBABLY be enough for a condi anemone, but not any anemone that clowns host. it would also be good enough for SOME corals.
or
2. for $150, you could almost get 2 of the Jebo units, take them apart and fit them into your canopy, which would give you 8 watts per gallon, which would be good for about anything.
or
3. buy a retro VHO or T5 kit off the auction site and build into your canopy.
option 2 will probably give you the most wattage to keep what you want, but will also be the most expensive when you add in shipping and replace Jebo's "blue" bulbs with real actinic bulbs. as far as the canopy, you can build one for well less than $30.

rickesco

Ok what am I looking for. What type of bulbs, watts etc. Do I go for 48" hood or open top with the light a few inches above the tank..

pontius

you could have vho bulbs, T5 bulbs, or powercompact. the question is what kind of animals specifically do you want to keep? if you want one of the anemones that host clowns, option 1 (above) is out. and option 3 (the retro kit) would have to have enough wattage (which should be AT LEAST 5 watts per gallon).

rickesco

Currently I have the following 1 Clown, 1 Yellow Tang, 3 Damsels, 2 Anemones and a couple of Polyp - Green Ricordea and Mushroom Polyp - Umbrella. I have 65lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of life sand.
I like to add more soft coral and a couple of more fish.

pontius

lol, no, it is Borat from "Da Ali G Show" (an HBO show). both characters are played Sacha Boren Cohen. I believe he is a comedic genius.

pontius

what type anemones do you have? if anything other than condi anemones, I would say you need more than 5 watts per gallon.

dmill15

You can find some cheap MH if you look for them. you don't have to buy them from an aquaruim type shop. MH is MH. the ballast and socket they use in grow lights or flood lights will work just fine you just have to buy the right spectrum of bulb for them. I prefer 20K but they are pricey. 10K are pretty cheap if you look on auction sites and stuff.
Dave

rickesco

Thanks Dave..
Appreciate your help
Went into Dr Foster & Smith and found the Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures (216 watts) w/Lunar Lights for 200.00 bucks..Good deal????