New Lights, New Clam

D

davidmwj

Hi All:
I just upgraded my lights on my 90 to the Nova Extreme Pro 6 X 54 unit a couple of days ago. Yesterday, I went to the lfs and picked up my first clam. It's blue and from what I can tell by looking on the web and here, it's a crocea. I'll post a pic. It's also only about 2" and after reading some threads here, I now know that's not ideal. Of course it was $40 vs. $70 for the next size up so that's why I got the smaller size. One good thing is that my tank has been up for over 5 years and has plenty of growth. I currently try to keep my calcium between 380 and 400, but can raise that if necessary. I caught my brittlestar nosing around it this morning when I woke which made me nervous, but it's still alive and kicking. Hopefully, it was just checking out an unfamiliar smell and will leave it alone from here on out. Anyway, to my questions:

• Currently the clam is on the sand, but it looks like I will need to move it up. I have green star polyp growth all over my tank. Can I place the clam on that with no problem, or do I need to cut a space out for it? Also, how far down from the surface would be ideal to place it? I post a pic of my tank too.
    I've read on here that I need to feed it since it's small. Do I need to target feed it, or is it sufficient to just put marine snow in the water? Or, what do you recommend I feed it with?
I have my livestock and equip. posted in my profile if you want to check that out. I haven't updated the lights in my profile yet though. Not sure why one of my pics loaded above and one below the text, but I'm afraid I will screw it up worse if i try to move it. Thanks for the help.

D

davidmwj

Well, looks like I should have posted this in the reef tank forum, but maybe somebody with advice will stop by this forum eventually, lol. Anyway, a slight update. I had removed that clump of polyps behind the regal tang in the tank pic and put him up there on the exposed rock. He attached and was there for a couple of days, so I figured he was going to stay. However, this morning, I found him back on the sand in the same place he was before. This time my blue linkia was nosing around him, or maybe just passing through.
Anyway, he still looks healthy, so I think I will leave him down there and go buy some phytoplankton from the lfs on the way home to supplement him until he gets larger. I also read on hear about placing a piece of flat rock under the sand, so hopefully I can find a suitable piece at the lfs as well. I was thinking that will be better anyway, since once he gets larger, I will need to place him higher and move him down when I do water changes. Obviously, if he attaches to an easily moveable rock, that will make it easier.

meowzer

This section does not get as much traffic...BUT IMO I would clear a space for it, and remember crocea are rock boring clams
I think we covered some other stuff in the pm, so let's see what others may add

J

jstdv8

I love the GSP on the back wall. If I didn't need to see in from that side for maintenance and what not (I have an inwall tank) i'd love to do my whole back wall like that.
Very nice colonies

D

davidmwj

Thanks, Jstdv8. I do like the GSP, buy they overtake everything including my zoo's. They also require frequent pruning up by the overflow and of course when I have to make a spot to sit something else like a clam. ;-)
Thanks for the IM's today Meowzer. I did end up picking up that saltwater multi-pack for my fish on the way home. The cubes aren't marked so other than the white one, I don't know which is which. I fed the dark one today which they went crazy for.
I put the clam back up the bare spot that I made. If he jumps off there again, I'll clear out another spot.

J

jstdv8

I make my GSp stay on one rock. Ive found that they grow downward at a really slow rate but tehy will actually piggyback off of each other to form bridges trying to find another rock to make it to once the one they are on is full. so wehn the "bridge" gets long i rip it off and bring it to the LFS

meowzer

LOL....oops.....I think the green is emerald entree haha....I never really thought about it.....I just alternate anyways....so it's all getting tothem anyway

D

davidmwj

Well, how's this for bad luck? My clam kept jumping down off the rock, so I left him on the sand, but placed a rock underneath as some suggested. You can see the tip of the rock off to the right. Anyway, he moved off the rock without attaching to it, but look what he attached to... my nassarius snail! I only have two of these in the entire tank and he hits one. So, now he can't stay upright, and my Coris Wrasse is coming around and knocking the hell out of the snail since it can't submerge. I have a feeling it won't last long, but will the clam release from it? I would have thought it would have done so already. What else????!

D

davidmwj

Well, it looks like that killed it. I can see right through the clam now. The blue is left on the outside, but not much inside. I'm going to leave it one more day, to be sure. The strange think is that nothing is eating it, unless all the edible parts were eaten last night. There's no movement when I pick it up. However, it flexes a little when I push water around near it. Maybe a death reflex?????
No sign of the snail, it must have gotten back under the sand and burrowed to freedom.

D

davidmwj

Thanks, and it's confirmed now. My blood red shrimp was just on it picking. Well, I guess I should have tried to cut it off the snail. Of course, hind sight is 20/20.
Well, I'm going to save my pennies for a larger one now. 2nd time's a charm... I hope.
Thanks for your help.
Dave