new lights, timing help...

jacrmill

I just got new lights and was hoping you guys could help me on how to set the timing up. It is 2x65 watt PC. One actinic one sunlight bulb. I also got a moonlight. I was thinking I would just leave the 3/4 watt LED moonlight on for 24 hours is that ok? But what about the actinic and the sunlight? I figure I would want to turn them in a certain timed way to simulate sunrise and sunset. Any help please...

jacrmill

also they dont have anything between the lights and the tank, is that ok? The person I bought them from said it would probably be fine, but I was a little timid still. what do you guys think?

wangotango

Run your actinic for about 10-12 hours a day, and run the daylight for two hours less, so that the daylight will turn on an hour after, and off an hour before the actinics. Whatever time you decide to start is totally up to you.
It's fine to run the moonlite 24/7. LEDs last.
I'd cut a piece of plexiglass to cover the bulbs. It'll get covered with salt creep, but it's easier, and cheaper, to clean that than all of the electrical work in the fixture.
-Justin

jacrmill

I appreciatte the help, but to be honest Im not really that "handy". So the main problem if I dont cover the lights is just cleaning the salt off them? I can handle that....
I dont think I phrased my question very well. the real problem I was worried about was somehow causing a fire or somebody getting a shock when they worked on the tank. If cleaning it is just more of a hassle, I am ok with that, I just dont want any safety hazardous...
I really pareciatte your advise, and I dont want to seem like one of those people who ask for help but dont take it, I just think I didnt ask what I meant to ask. Thanks again Wango, any more help would be great...

namas05

Is it a fixture or is it in a retro in a hood?
If it is a fixture then it probably has a slot for a lens cover. Just measure the opening and the length and lowes or home depot with cut one to fit for you.
If you don't cover it, you wil never keep up with cleaning it and it will destroy the fixture over time. Salt is not your friend. Will ruin wiringand bulbs.
Water and electricity don't mix well, and saltwater is worse.
Just my 2 cents worth.

jacrmill

Thats the one option i thought of, but I was really hoping to avoid that. Anybody got any other ideas opposed to just an acrylic cover? if i have to do it, that might be the only way....thanks again.

wangotango

If there is any way to avoid putting a cover on the tank, I would. You'll probably run into heat problems, and keeping the tank open helps with evaporation and gas exchange.
If your lights are high up enough, I really don't see how you could be shocked while working in the tank. I'd really only worry about fires if the electrical work was not done correctly, or is something was faulty.
-Justin

jacrmill

well then i might just let it go, and see how bad the salt creep is. if i clean it regularly that might be enough. Thanks for the help guys...

jacrmill

so what can I use to cover the lights? I have a 24" retro fixture, do they make some sort of cover you can buy?