New Lights!!

perfectdark

So Santa is getting me all the equipment I need to convert my 30 gal tank in my living room into a reef tank. The thing I am most excited about is the lights.. I am getting the new Nova Extreme Sundial T5HO 4x24 watts with individual parabolic reflectors and moon light leds with interchangable lenses and 2 built in timers...
I cannot wait...

perfectdark

Originally Posted by ER..MD
How wide is it?? too big for a ap24? (20 inches)
thanks
I was looking for a MH alternative for my tank t-5's are it but most of their fixtures are 24" wide I would of had to make some sort of bracket to extend to the sides of the tank and up until these came out none were offered with individual reflectors by Nova in this size. Now they have individual reflec. and they have 24" and 30" wide models, among others.
You would have 2 inches on either side of your tank over hanging. IDK but IMO for what you are getting in light quality and price it would be worth it. I was considering the 36" nova extremes for my 30" tank because they didnt have the individual reflectors and the added watts would be a trade off. But that would of left 3" either side of my tank over hang but I was prepared to deal with it.
I am now considering this light set up for my cube tank at home too...24" model.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by goonter
I just got the same lighting for my 29 gal yesterday. I love it so far
Thats awesome... I cant wait. I wish I was asked what bulbs I wanted though. I wanted to swap out an actinic with another daylight, and use a single flourescent light strip with an actinic in there for the added blue. Oh well I can swap that out later.

ameno

T-5 Ho with individual reflectors is the way to go,

give it a try you may be happy with the color the actincs put out, if not you can do like you said and swap some out. Personally I like the flourescent that the actincs produce.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by ameno
T-5 Ho with individual reflectors is the way to go,

give it a try you may be happy with the color the actincs put out, if not you can do like you said and swap some out. Personally I like the flourescent that the actincs produce.
Yea I agree about the look of the actinics, its just I dont want to lose 2 slots of higher K light for photosynthesis when I can sub one out to a std floursc bulb.
They claim that the actinic lighting shouldnt be accounted for when applying photosynthic watts to your tank. I dont know how much of that is proven its just what I read. But I have 2 indivual single light strips that I could get 2 actinic lights for. THen I could plop 4 10K daylight bulbs in the Sundial fixture.. hmmmm. So my total out put could be 4x24 watts of 10K daylight, and 2 @ 18 watts of actinic std flourescent.

ameno

since I am by very far no type of lighting guru, I went to a tread on -- were a lighting guru was helping a lot of people with t-5 lighting configurations. and that's were I came up with mine, but I had 14 bulbs to try and figure out. if you haven't already you may want too check it out and see what they recommend to get the best all around light configuration.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by ameno
since I am by very far no type of lighting guru, I went to a tread on -- were a lighting guru was helping a lot of people with t-5 lighting configurations. and that's were I came up with mine, but I had 14 bulbs to try and figure out. if you haven't already you may want too check it out and see what they recommend to get the best all around light configuration.

Hmmm sounds like a good idea thanks..