new lion fish

denny80688

Im proud to say I started the transition to an agressive tank... I purchased my first lion fish. He is about 5 inches right now. My question is.. Is it normalfor them to hang out on the bottom of the tank. He kind of pirches on his lower fins. He also swims around a lot too but spends an dequal amount of time perched on the bottom.

fishieness

If it is a fu manchu lion, get used to it. They walk more than they swim. But not that i re-read your post, you said hes 5 inches, so hes probably not a fu manchu seeing how they only get about 4-5 inches. As for any other types, im not all sure, i have see V lions doing it before at my local fish store, but im not sure about how normal it is. What type of lion is he?

lion_crazz

Originally posted by denny80688
Im proud to say I started the transition to an agressive tank... I purchased my first lion fish. He is about 5 inches right now. My question is.. Is it normalfor them to hang out on the bottom of the tank. He kind of pirches on his lower fins. He also swims around a lot too but spends an dequal amount of time perched on the bottom.

That is perfectly normal. Make sure you pick up some ghost shrimp to feed him until he accepts frozen krill/silversides. Freshwater feeders are bad for him (if you were thinking of going that route).

cubfan

I have 2 Volitans and they sometimes just hang out on the sand. If it's eating ok, don't worry.

denny80688

yeah eats like a champ. of course the fools at the LFS have been feeding it nothing but freshwater feeders. I picked up some Krill but hes not interested. I need to find a place with ghost shrimp or silversides I guess..

jer4916

lions are lazy for the most part...they love to hangout mostly during the day...mine is EXTREMELY active at night, im assuming there nocturnal (sp) notice the behaviors hes giving out...mostly movent at night?..or in the day?....also notice your lights....my lion becomes activei n the day if i turn the lights off....so just watch him...as long as he's eatting your fine

cubfan

Yes, lions are nocturnal but can easily be train to a daytime schedule. Mine really become active whenever I walk by the tank. Maybe because I'm the keeper of all things tasty like krill and silversides, and ghost shrimp, oh my!

denny80688

Ive noticed in the morning before the lights come on he is very active. and also during the day when I sit in front of the tank he likes to swim infront of me and stare out at me
Thought that was kind of cool. So far hes been getting along with his other tank mates. The hippo tang is still a little skittish near him but the clown and chromis just swim around like nothings new.