New live rock inverts

Wasdal052

I'm just starting a tank. I let the water and live sand cycle for about a week and then added live rock. Several sea stars and small crabs emerged from the rock within about 24 hours. But now, about 48 hours after that, those inverts seem to be dying. There are several other visible worms and sessile inverts still alive and well. Water temp is 77f, salinity is 1.023. Do larger hitchhiker inverts often die after introduction to a new tank? Or should I have done something differently?

lmforbis

I'm just starting a tank. I let the water and live sand cycle for about a week and then added live rock.
The cycling process takes about 6-8 weeks. It is normally done with the live rock in the tank. It is a period of time where your bacteria cultures are colonizing the tank. You should be ghost feeding the tank and watching the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels. The tank isn’t cycled until you can add food and all remain at zero.
mat this point you can add your first fish after you have quarantined it for 30 days in a bare bottom tank with just PVC fittings for hiding places.

Wasdal052

The cycling process takes about 6-8 weeks. It is normally done with the live rock in the tank. It is a period of time where your bacteria cultures are colonizing the tank. You should be ghost feeding the tank and watching the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels. The tank isn’t cycled until you can add food and all remain at zero.
mat this point you can add your first fish after you have quarantined it for 30 days in a bare bottom tank with just PVC fittings for hiding places.
Ok, I see. So the inverts that were in the live rocks to begin with didn't really stand much of a chance of survival given how young and immature the tank is.

The water temp is 77, the salinity is 1.023. I'll regularly test the water for nitrate, nitrite and ammonium for the next number of weeks until I can add food and see those levels remain at zero.

Thanks so much for the response!

lmforbis

Salinity should be a bit higher at 1.025-1.026 for inverts. They are more sensitive than fish.