new live rock

doobieman

I know that I am not supposed to add live rock directly in to a established tank, but I am thinking about buying 50lbs more to add to the existing 20 I already have in my 55 gal.
My ? is can I cycle it in a large tub like I use for premixing my saltwater? and how long should I leave it in there before introducing to my Tank if this is possible?

teresaq

when i did mine, i use the water from a water change. Put it in a rubber tub, and a power head or two. leaveit in there for 2 to 6 weeks, depending on how much dyeoff you have. When i changed water in the tank, i used that water to do a watrer change on the tub. Use a clean stiff brush to clean it in saltwater, and most of all smell it. if it smells bad, its not done.

cain420

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
when i did mine, i use the water from a water change. Put it in a rubber tub, and a power head or two. leaveit in there for 2 to 6 weeks, depending on how much dyeoff you have. When i changed water in the tank, i used that water to do a watrer change on the tub. Use a clean stiff brush to clean it in saltwater, and most of all smell it. if it smells bad, its not done.
thats what i read to do..