New Live Selling/Classified rules

reefereric

So I understand the new rules, but I'm caught in between. Before that was enacted, I had made three or 4 transactions with people on here, all very successfully. I am a reader, I like ot learn. I don't feel I have a lot of information to offer up. But now I cannot post in those sections.
And I don't like the fact that The Aquarium posts don't count.
Just my rant.
My rave is that this site is great and I visit it each day at LEAST twice.
Thanks SWF, but I'd like to be able to get the supplies and livestock from fellow reefers that I need and want.

mr.m

I understand your beef. but you have to look at it like this this is a site to sale there prduct not ours. and a lot of ppl was abusing it comeing here from outher sites to sale. Your only 12 post off so just go and help some newbies or ask ? about what you want in your sys .

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not the SWF.com owners, but the issue has been discussed with the moderators. A lot of people come to SWF just to sell their items, and offer nothing to the forums. That's not the purpose of the forums, nor the classified sections. Those forums are specifically there for our valued, participating members who may have some items or livestock they need to get rid of. It's a service to members, not an open marketplace for vendors. If SWF really wanted to solely benefit itself, they could sell advertising space in the classified section, rather then just offering it to our active members.
The Aquarium is not a hobby related forum, and, again, it is really another forum to service our members. However, it doesn't really serve the purpose of the site or the hobby. We really don't want to encourage people to come here just to chat in the Aquarium or sell their stuff in the Classified section. We want hobbyist of all walks to be a part of our hobby community, and participate in all levels of that community. And to further that, we offer them a place to talk and make friends (the Aquarium) and a place exchange or sell unwanted items.
I hope you and others can understand that, and we'd love to actually have you participate more. If you are already visiting that frequently, then why not join in more?
The forums are here for you and everyone, all levels of experience.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by ReeferEric
http:///forum/post/2645925
I am a reader, I like ot learn. I don't feel I have a lot of information to offer up.
You can ask a few questions if you feel you don't any info to offer and before you know your 12 missing posts are done :)

flricordia

I don't quite understand all of it myself. I get people that only have 1 post asking to buy my ricordeas. I don't know why but that kind of bothers me (maybe a prove yourself thing) and though I have OKed it before as long as they have had at least a dozen posts and checked them out to see what they were about I usually just say I am out. Shouldn't new people have to have a certain number of posts to PM also besides just not be able to participate in the classifieds?
Don't get me wrong, I know people don't always have access to nice livestock and should be able to buy from members, but I think they should become a part of the site first.
1 post and then wanting to buy livestock from members seems kind of fishy, pardon the pun.

silverdak

i get the selling thing... and if you new and all that... but why cant you ask if anyone has something for sale?? kinda weird. not complaining, but I need some stuff for my tank now and can't ask if anyone has it for another 2-3 weeks. rules are rules and I am glad its keeping people away from just trying to sell stuff. not a bad idea at all, just irritating now as I am looking for some stuff lol

M

markeo99

they have 30 days before pm priv but they should be able to make enough posts in a month I havent been here much longer than that I live here now but still it isnt that many posts to where it is outa line

silverdak

wait there is a PM thing on this site??? nice I was thinking they just didnt have that capability... thats good to know!

brenda5826

Originally Posted by SilverDak
http:///forum/post/2647016
i get the selling thing... and if you new and all that... but why cant you ask if anyone has something for sale?? kinda weird. not complaining, but I need some stuff for my tank now and can't ask if anyone has it for another 2-3 weeks. rules are rules and I am glad its keeping people away from just trying to sell stuff. not a bad idea at all, just irritating now as I am looking for some stuff lol
1+
newbie here i do understand the new rules
although i do have a great need to buy liverock at a discount price right now

flricordia

Originally Posted by markeo99
http:///forum/post/2647017
they have 30 days before pm priv but they should be able to make enough posts in a month I havent been here much longer than that I live here now but still it isnt that many posts to where it is outa line
I just got a PM from someone that has one post and have had them many times in the past to buy rics/zoas.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Michael points out something rather interesting, and that is that our own members want to have some security that the live items that they are selling are actually going to go to someone who they have some familiarity with...in other words, someone who they have a degree of trust with because they have checked them out on the forums.
Thanks for bringing that side of it up.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2647026
I just got a PM from someone that has one post and have had them many times in the past to buy rics/zoas.
When did they sign up? Also the post count doesn't increase when posting in *the aquarium*. I think the PM is turned off after 14 days even if you don't have a single post.

T

tfolke1

I'll admit that its been kind of a pain to get towards 50 posts for me, but I started using the search function right away because most things have been asked before. Its just a matter of finding them. I've been fighting off the urge to just throw in a bunch of "Nice fishy" comments just to get to 50 posts so I can move some Koi that have outgrown my pond.
Sometimes the urge wins.
I certainly agree with Flricordia though as well. I've seen a ridiculous number of posts from people who killed a lot of stock moving too fast.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, you won't be able to sell koi here. Strictly marine items. I'm sure your own local store might be able to help you.

silverdak

Originally Posted by tfolke1
http:///forum/post/2647075
I'll admit that its been kind of a pain to get towards 50 posts for me, but I started using the search function right away because most things have been asked before. Its just a matter of finding them. I've been fighting off the urge to just throw in a bunch of "Nice fishy" comments just to get to 50 posts so I can move some Koi that have outgrown my pond.
Sometimes the urge wins.
I certainly agree with Flricordia though as well. I've seen a ridiculous number of posts from people who killed a lot of stock moving too fast.
ya some of my posts are the usual "nice tank", "nice fish" type thing.. but I figure by the time I will be able to post I will have 100+ posts, and I am sure that at least 50 of them will count! lol I just like forums and posting.

flricordia

I still don't really even know what the min. is before participating in the classifieds and personally don't see a problem with dry goods. If a newby needs a discount price for a new set-up, say a skimmer, then by all means they need to be able to get one. And on the other hand I do not mean to be stepping on any toes because I have seen the set-ups of some of the new people here, the pics they post at least, that look pretty awesome. What I am talking about is I do know for a fact and even been told so that people have joined just to buy some rics from me, and I don't think that is right really. That's all I am saying.
And Beth is right, anyone selling livestock should do a search on buyers past posts and see if their tank can even handle the livestock. I was asked the other day to sell a ric pack by PM, checked the past posts and the tank hadn't been going for even 2 weeks. lol.
The last pic posted it looked like the sand hadn't even settled. Yea, like I am going to want to send a rick pack and hear back in a few days that they melted. No thanks. Can't build a rep like that.

brenda5826

anyone selling livestock should do a search on buyers past posts and see if their tank can even handle the livestock. I was asked the other day to sell a ric pack by PM, checked the past posts and the tank hadn't been going for even 2 weeks. lol.
The last pic posted it looked like the sand hadn't even settled. Yea, like I am going to want to send a rick pack and hear back in a few days that they melted. No thanks. Can't build a rep like that
i agree 100 percent
there are way to many lfs that already do that and the live stocks die daily
because of it just today i went in to my lfs to buy some cleaning crews and they were going to sell me them but when i ask for some food to supplement them they had none and the worker ask me do you still want them

reefereric

Wow! I love the responses! Like I said, I may have been here a short time and not have many posts, but I HAVE had a few good transactions. I love the people here. It's funny, but even thought I don't post much, after reading a million and a half posts, especially from people like SpiderWoman and Flricordia, I feel like I already know most of you.
I think these rules are great, really I do, it's just one of those crappy situations where I (yeah yeah, I know, it's all about me, I'm an only child) got stuck in the gray area (or so it seems).
I'm going to waste a post and put up one more with a quick story, just for all of you who are reading this.

alix2.0

believe me, once you get talking on this site 100's of posts go by like nothing. even if you feel that you dont have much to share, eventually you will. just reading threads on this site you unconsiously gain so much knowledge about ich, QT, corals, live sand, bacon, and illegal harvesting without even realizing it. then when it comes up in another thread, you actually realize that you can contribute.

reefereric

I have been in the hobby, with what WAS a successful 55 gallon for 8+ months now. Going on a year since I started my cycle, as it took me 3 months to figure out ANY livestock. In April, my wife and I got married in Hawaii. We were gone for 10 days. In that 10 days, I had a friend look after my tank. I had spread sheets and schedules and everything laid out for him on the care.
When we got back, well, they day before, everything bit it. Hard. Something died and my ammonia went through the roof. He didn't know what to look for, apparently, and didn't pull out a dead fishie. That in turn led to an anemone death, and so on. He felt horrible, I felt horrible, my wife cried, it's done with.
Now, I'am all re-cycled, and a month solid on great parameters. I have a shipment coming from Scottdl99 that he was OH SO PATIENT with me on. I ordered it from him the week before we left paid the same day (dont ever reserve stuff without money. Wastes a sellers time!), decided to have him hold it until we got back, only to find that the tank crashed. He's been holding it, and is now having trouble with the weather in his area, so I'm waiting for a nice load of softies, which should be here early this week. This was bought BEFORE the new rules went into effect.
So my 55 is ready. But I can't buy stuff. I'm sorry I don't post more, but like I said, I'm a reader. I'll just have to type out my thoughts from now on.
I'll repost something similar in the sections for tank bios and stories, but I wanted you all to know my story. I think this is a great site, and am more than willing to play by the rules. Thanks, SWF, and I WILL be buying product from the site as well. I just found out about this place! That's the only reason I'm new! Had FW for years! But mostly thanks to everyone else here. The members here are awesome. I am a constant searcher, because like mentioned by someone above, it's all been asked. And I hate being told, "USE THE SEARCH."
Ah, the fingers hurt. Did anyone get this far in this post? I just wasted a lot of space, and really, should made it 22 posts. Bah humbug.