New Mandarins!!!!I

tiffster

I just got a mated pair of mandarins:joy: ! Just thought I would share! I have been waiting for theses guys for two years!!! I got really lucky!

dburr

Two? Where will they go? In the 55?:nervous: I hope you got alot of LR. Good luck with them.

rwhite

Good luck! May you have plenty of food and rock for them. They are pretty fish, try to get as much info as you can, I understand they can be difficult to keep.

zman

good luck with the mandarins! I like them a lot but don't have a mature enough tank to get one. I too have heard they can be difficult to take care of.
Zman

tiffster

yeah, they are going in the 55 and they eat cyclopseeze (spelling?) i made sure they would eat it before I bought them. The LFS had them for about a month and they are nice and fat, so shouldn't be a problem.

jacksonpt

Wonderful addition. They are one of my favorite fish. I had one a while back that was fat and happy. That is, until I added a 6-line wrasse that wiped out my pod population. I hope to add a pair of them next fall.

zen

I have one and I have never seen her sleep. I call her a female cause she's beautiful ;) She hunts day and night. The funny thing is, I can see the pods hiding in my sun coral colony so she can't reach them. Her name is Mandy BTW :)
Good luck with them!

j21kickster

Originally posted by tiffster
y they eat cyclopseeze (spelling?) i made sure they would eat it before I bought them.

So they eat prepared food? That is a rare find- Congrats

saltynewbie

zen-
if you really want to know the --- of your mandarin, they are really easy to ---... the males are the ones with the long ray on their dorsal fin. the one on the right in tiffsters picture is the male.

artista

My mandrin in a 125 has plenty of pods but also will chase and eat the fozen shrimp from the cubes. He has always eaten this, even when he was in my 55 and pretty much ate all the pods he would eat the shrimp. I guess I am very lucky. I won't get another until I have the refugium full of pods. Couldn't get that lucky twice:)

Originally posted by tiffster
yeah, they are going in the 55 and they eat cyclopseeze (spelling?) i made sure they would eat it before I bought them. The LFS had them for about a month and they are nice and fat, so shouldn't be a problem.

where can you get that cyclopseeze?

timsedwards

cool i bought one today too! ill update pics when hes settled in, i hope i hvae enough pods etc to keep them satisfied, we'll soon find out. If in a week mine seems to be hungry/not looking full, ill take him back.
Im going to try and entice him with some mysis shrimp though :)
Tim.