New maxima clam without a foot?

fedukeford

I just got a gold aquacultured maxima clam last night, and when the lady took it out of the holding tank it left either most or all of its foot behind on the sand, i thought it probley would be fine, but i figured id ask on here. So can clams regrow there foot? or once its off it pretty much dies? Also where should i place it? right now i have it on the sand bed directly under one of the 250 watt 10k halides (125 gallon tank), not sure if it should be higher on the rocks or just on the sand?
Thanks
Feduke

catawaba

I think it will die.
I believe they prefer rockwork to attach to, but without a foot.......
Best wishes.

fedukeford

Ok so put it up on the rockwork... i guess theres always a next time if it dies... any other opinions?
Feduke

craig7220

I would put it in the rockwork also but without a foot, you will need to make sure it doesn't fall off.....I agree with Catawaba that it will probably die though....

fedukeford

Creature Comforts in Binghamton.
I had told my parents i would stop getting stuff locally since it all seems to either die or be injured by the time i get it in the tank, i guess ill really stop buying livestock locally...
Feduke

reefkprz

jeez fedu. damaged foot. I'm no clam expert but I do know thats really hard on them. I hope your water is optimal. and you have good food and lighitng for it. not much I can do to provide really usefull info on how to help it recover except stress kills. really slow acclimation, slower than normal waterchanges, tip top water quality and blessed be if its not the holiest of high light it gets. (no I'm not religious it was a similie.)

mark_d

So where the clams foot is there is nothing? what does this look like? or what is the foot supposed to look like? im startin to think maybe i got a bad deal for my clam too......

puffer32

Why not take it back, the lfs is responsible for tearing the foot off, she should give you another one.

yosemite sam

I'd need to see a picture, but I doubt it actually lost it's foot. What did it leave behind? Did it look like a bunch of white fibers? These would be the byssus threads that the clam uses to attach itself to rocks or sand. It can drop these on its own.
However, if the person at the LFS ripped it out of the sand, this it could have damaged the byssus gland, which makes the threads, and this would be very bad for the clam.
Is there any way to take a picture?

fedukeford

Puffer- wish i had some LFS around here that do that, for FW fish they have like a 7 day guarentee, but for SWF they say since most people have touble keeping them they dont guarentee them since they would lose too much money (plus the owner is kind of a money hog)
Yosemite Sam- the thing that it left behind looked kinda like a nasseruous (can never get the spelling right) snail with stings comeing off it. No way to get a picture right now but i should have my camera back in a couple days.
Feduke

dejaco

I have two crocea clams. They were on display at lfs 150 miles from me. Both were displayed on sand beds. I have one on/in sand bed and one up in the rock work. As far as the "foot" goes it is my understanding that they form threads from bottom, bysus area and anchor from them. Just set it where you want and leave it alone and new threads will develop.

fedukeford

clam update: its still alive! it looks like its starting to regrow its foot, and attach it to a piece of rock about 9" down in the tank.
Feduke

reefiness

i have a crocea that lost its foot about 6 months ago, and it only took a week or 2 to grow it back. But if you are looking for a nice clam... i got the orange derasa from SWF.com and it is amazing. i purchased it in the beginning of november, arrived about 2" and is now about 4" plus the orange coloration is awsome.