New member having problems!

jay0705

No baths. If u use copper its in the qt tank only. After 2 weeks nothing should be alive if dosed correctly besides the fish.

lmforbis

What Jay said except I'd go 30 days. That is the normal treatment time for ich.
It is up to you if you want to do another fallow period. If it were my tank I would. Just because there were no signs of ich doesn't mean it wasn't there. Often if a fish is in subtheraputic levels if copper the signs won't show up. There is also the possibility that you had velvet instead of ich.
Look up the tank transfer method. This is the protocol I is in quarantine for all fish.

lmforbis

I used a copper sulphate (I think) it was the only copper treatment my fish store had and I read that it was either copper or hyposalinity to cure ich. I can remember the name but I went to 3 different stores and this was the only copper treatment. I will get the name when I'm home from work.

I used a salifert copper test kit though.

Ok so I would have to do 76 day period again? Even though the clown had ich and after the copper treatment there was no more sign of ich? The clown was back in my tank for around 12 hours and I found him dead and took him out. There were still no signs of ich on him.

I'm pretty sure the copper treatment I got said that it can be used for a 24hr copper bath when qting fish. Do u recommend this at the beginning of qt or at the end if I was going to do this? Obviously I can't leave LR in the qt when I put the copper in as it will kill all the benificial bacteria and ammonia will spike. Could I do the copper bath then run some carbon then put the LR in?
Try to get chelated copper (I.e. Copper safe) and the API test kit. Chelated copper is much easier to use.
As a rule nothing in a QT tank but a few pieces of pvc pipe for caves, a filter (I like sponge filters) and a heater.

Scottish_Reefer

Ok so that's what I had when treating my fish. Just pvc, heater and sponge filter.

So no rock in qt to help keep ammonia in check? Just daily water changes?

Looks like the tank will be fishless for 76 days then. I don't want to take chances and I know that this hobby is all about patients. I'm just having a bit of a nightmare at the moment. I'll order the correct copper treatment for future but I have no fish to treat now so I'm in no hurry. I will give the fish store that is a couple of hours awa a chance when I am ready for fish. Don't want to go back to the same one again.

Scottish_Reefer

30 days is even better. Have you looked into online ordering?

Yeah I did think about it. There are a few places that deliver to where I stay but I would would like to know people's opinions before ordering. Since I'm from Scotland I would probably have to look at a U.K. Based forum. I just like going to the store to check the fish out in person but but might try online.

jay0705

Ah ok yes i doubt our online stores would help you. I agree on lfs is nice to examine them tho