new mh bulbs wont light

nazz13

I have a hood with 2 175 watt mh and i tried to change the bulbs today but the new ones start to light then they go off after about thirty sec.same wattage bulbs same co. bulbs just a higher kelvin rating anyone have any ideas what could be wrong im stumped?????????

michaeltx

who made the fixture?
Check all your wiring sometimes salt will get in there and corrode the connections and cause it not to light if there is any type of arch the ballast will not fire. also check inside the sockets to make sure there is no corrosion in the there either.
Mike

nazz13

Yes the old bulbs light right up but the new ones wont stay lit.it was custom made ordered it online its very clean no salt build up its only about a year or so old.I think maybe they are bad bulbs but i wont know till i get another set.

michaeltx

what brand bulbs are they and fixture. and what type of MH HQI or mogule
some like PFO the lights can be put in upside down sounds strange but it happens. the mogul bulbs have a glass node and that can be put in the wrong place and cause a light firing issue its rare though.
mike

reefforbrains

sounds like cheapo jump start bulbs. Usually only work with particular ballasts.
What brand and where did you get them if you dont mind??

nazz13

They are hamilton 10000k 175wu.
the old ones are hamilton 5500k 175wu got the new ones at my LFS,mogul base.

reefforbrains

Hmm. sounds very strange. You spoken to the LFS yet? Never seen any problems like this with Mogels before. Real longshot but bad bulbs still seems like it could be a possibility. Can you barrow a bulb from your local shop to test with?
Sorry I cant be of more help. Thats an odd one

nazz13

yeah i figured i will try them once more,do you happen to know which way the nipples are supposed to face and do you think it will make a difference??

reefforbrains

I prefer DE so I cant help there, but I am sure someone will know. Honestly I dont think that makes any difference except for maximizing light direction. Shouldnt effect start up.

scubaguy

My 175 W I just recently purchased did not fire. I saw Lightning in the bulb but would not light. I placed my old ones back in and they worked fine. So I place the new ones back in the opposite direction and they worked fine. I figured since they were double Ended that it did not make a difference,it does. Hope this helps.

nazz13

what do you mean u put them in the opposite direction could you explain a bit cleare,these bulbs are not double ended.

rrcjr1972

I had the hamilton 175 watt x 3 light fixture( black box). Same problem. Problem is the bulbs, For whatever reason the hamilton 10k will not fire. I replaces ballasts, capacitors with no luck and alot of money later. I then purchased xm 10k's and fired right up. Then I put the hamiltons in and they started to light and kicked off. Very aggrevating but I hope this saves you the$$$$ it cost me to solve problem.

scubaguy

Originally Posted by nazz13
what do you mean u put them in the opposite direction could you explain a bit cleare,these bulbs are not double ended.
Sorry I thought that maybe the were Double Ended. The bulbs slide into two clips on both sides of the bulb. If I was home I would take a pic but not there.

nazz13

OK now im getting Peed 2nd set of bulbs these are different brand and they stay on longer but still go out and old bulbs still light right up ,whats up with that??

symon

Not to rehash things, but have you checked the voltage requirements of the new bulbs? Seems to me you may only be able to put the 5500's back in? Ballast may not be enough to fire the higher k bulbs. I wanted to say i realize the ballast shouldn't matter for K rating just wattage, but could it be that the ballast is not strong enough for the higher K lighting?