New MH's

rot_stupid

Well finally after 2 years of having my tank, I finally got a MH fixture for it. It might not be the best, but I'm happy for now.
I got a coralife sunpod 60" with 3 250w HQI's. My wife is concerned about how much electricity it will use if we run it constantly, and we are both concerned about the noise of the ballasts so all the time. We heard the MH's only need to be on for about 5 hours a day. Is this true and if so, does it matter if it is for a few hours in the morning and a few hours at night? And what are some ways you guys store your ballasts, I currently have them sitting on a shelf above the tank.

T

tizzo

I put my ballasts on the floor next to the stand.
What do you have that's light hungry? Cause that would help decide which lighting schedule you want.
But "on" twice a day is not a good idea IMO. That's like the sun coming up twice each day for you. Those lights are incredibly bright, they do set the sleeping patters of your fish. If you do not have corals, then once a day even for only a couple hours so you and the wife can view the tank. But I wouldn't do twice...

m0nk

Since you're replacing a lighting fixture, I wouldn't worry so much about the extra power usage, especially if the lighting you're replacing is a PC fixture.
And for noise, my ballasts are in a cabinet next to my tank, so although they hum a bit, you can't really tell unless they just turned on or off.
I keep mine on for 6 hours and supplement with VHO, which are on for 8 hours and use a controller to do sunrise and sunset. I'm dealing with some cyano currently so I'll probably be cutting that back, but for me it's tough because I have a lot of different LPS and SPS that need the light. If you have mostly LPS and/or softies, you should be ok with 5 hours without any issue.

boneybone

Do you mean CurrentUsa Sunpod? I had the 48" 150w and I they weren't that blue. Are you using the 250w bulbs it came with?

rot_stupid

Yes I meant CurrentUSA, but I'm just an idiot. I was looking at another item as well. It has the original bulbs, I guess they are 14K, there are 2 250w. The lights give off a blue color, but the extreame blue came out due to my flash and a reflective blue background (which I liked when we first got the tank, but not so sure now). I currently don't have anything in the tank as far as corals, I haven't gotten that far yet, but I want to be able to have a clam and would like to have anything I choose to get in the future.
Some of you said you have your ballasts in a cabinet beside the tank, doesn't it get too hot for them, or did you add fans (which again add to electricity and noise).
Can anyone tell me the difference between the 14K and the 10K bulbs, as far as how they effect everytiing or is it just preference?

m0nk

Originally Posted by rot_stupid
http:///forum/post/2556831
Yes I meant CurrentUSA, but I'm just an idiot. I was looking at another item as well. It has the original bulbs, I guess they are 14K, there are 2 250w. The lights give off a blue color, but the extreame blue came out due to my flash and a reflective blue background (which I liked when we first got the tank, but not so sure now). I currently don't have anything in the tank as far as corals, I haven't gotten that far yet, but I want to be able to have a clam and would like to have anything I choose to get in the future.
Some of you said you have your ballasts in a cabinet beside the tank, doesn't it get too hot for them, or did you add fans (which again add to electricity and noise).
Can anyone tell me the difference between the 14K and the 10K bulbs, as far as how they effect everytiing or is it just preference?
The ballasts I have are magnetic and are a bit bigger than the electronic ballasts you'll likely have. The heat, though, is typically from the bulbs themselves. In my canopy, the heat gets trapped in, so I have fans along the top and back that all come on (per a timer) for a half hour on the hour for 4 hours in the middle of the MH lighting cycle. This gets the heat out pretty well, the fan timing is over just before I get home from work, and it doesn't use a lot of electricity to do it this way. The fans are pretty loud, though, so I do have a bit of noise to deal with on the weekends. From the pics you have here I would guess that heat might not be a big issue because it's a fixture that sits above the tank and you don't have a canopy, you'll just have to keep an eye on the temp (make sure you have a thermometer of some sort in the tank, somewhat close to the top).
As for the bulbs, the 10k aren't as blue as the 14k, and if you have actinic PC or T-5 supplemental lighting in the fixture, you should probably stick with the 10k. These are better for coral growth. The 14k are better for the look of the lighting but has slower growth. You'd want these more if you don't have that supplemental actinic lighting.

rot_stupid

I don't have any supplemental lighting right now. I only had the original cheap florsecent lights that came with the tank before. I guess I could use those lights all day and turn on the MH's for a few hours during my viewing time. The manual suggested using the middle light through the day and using the end lights for a few hours for the corals, I might try that.
Will the 250W MH allow me to house most anything as far as light requirements? Or will there be some things that need more light? My LFS said I would need at least 400W, and poss 1000W MH for some hard corals/clams. Is this true?

T

tizzo

http:///forum/post/2558454
Will the 250W MH allow me to house most anything as far as light requirements? Or will there be some things that need more light? My LFS said I would need at least 400W, and poss 1000W MH for some hard corals/clams. Is this true?
That is absolutely NOT true!
250's are suffucient for any coral that I can think of. And even clams.
400 watts are better suited for people who wanna keep SPS's on the bottom of a 30 or more inch tank that's bare bottom.

rot_stupid

That's kinda what I thought. I have never seen a 1000W light at any fish store except his, nor have I heard of any1 using one that big.
So today I felt the ballasts after they had been running 2 hours and they weren't as hot as I thought they would be. I think I might try to build a cabinet next to my stand to house and conceal the ballasts so I don't have the wires running up my wall.
If I leave the back of the cabinet open, would that be sufficient to vent the heat, or do I need to have fans installed?

T

tizzo

That deends on your waters temp. If you cannot control you water temp then the next step is fans...

rot_stupid

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2558483
That deends on your waters temp. If you cannot control you water temp then the next step is fans...
I was talking about the external ballasts. I think I might build a small cabinet next to my tank to conceal them and hopefully reduce some of the noise, I was just afraid they would get too hot if enclosed.

T

tizzo

http:///forum/post/2558507
I was talking about the external ballasts. I think I might build a small cabinet next to my tank to conceal them and hopefully reduce some of the noise, I was just afraid they would get too hot if enclosed.
No actually a lot of times they are sold 2 or 3 in a metal "box". If heat was an issue they would have fans built into them.
They will be fine without fans.

fats71

If you wanna make the ballast last longer you can always put a heat sink onto it like ones we use on video cards etc or you can find them for ballast them self but if you have a video card laying around try it,.