New/Old Tank

sal713

I just got a 40 Gal. tank that has been set up for a couple of years.
For free no less!
It has live sand, about 20 lbs of live rock, yellow tang, tomato clown, lawnmower blenny, blue damsel, small butterfly, about 6-7 anenomies, a few snails and blue leg crabs.
It has a Millenium2000 and another filter/protien skimmer combo and a light from Custom Sea Life. I dont know what kind but he said it was expensive.
Ive had it for a couple of weeks now and I am battling the nitrates. I kept all the water when I picked it up. The nitrates were high when I got it. Ive been doing a lot of water changes with RO and its starting to come down..down to 40 range. Does this need to cycle again? I know she was using tap water for the water changes.
Is there anything else I need to do or get for this tank? It has some green alge on the sides and back of the tank but it looks like I'm getting some brown alge now. Is this ok? Two of the anenomies look like they die and then come back to life about an hour later? Is this normal.

sal713

I looked in the inverts here and I dont see the anemone. I'll try and find out. What should I do with the yellow tang? Do aquariums take trades?

barry cuda

If you can post a pic of the anemones, I'm sure someone here will be able to ID them for you.
They don't look like this, do they?

sal713

They do look like that. I went to my LFS and he said they are no big deal and that they spread quickly. He gets them on his live rock.
Does everything else sound ok?

barry cuda

They're aiptasia anemones...actually a real potential problem. They tend to take over the tank and pack a nasty wallop. Plus they're just plain ugly, IMHO. You'll probably want to get rid of them ASAP before they spread all over. Do a search on "aiptasia" and you should get some good info on how they can be dealt with. Generally people kill them by injecting them with various things or introducing creatures that eat them. Peppermint shrimp will eat the small ones, and there's one species of nudibranch that lives on them and nothing else. DO NOT cut them up or otherwise physically injure them, as every piece will tend to grow into a new anemone.