New ORA Maxima

renogaw

just got him today, which actually caused my pistol shrimp to come out and find what the heck was in the tank (letting me finally take pics of it!!)

renogaw

see the little cave to the right of the clam? that wasn't there when i put the clam down. but, the pistol was very interested and did a little excavating:

nycbob

sorry for changing the topic. do u think a pistol will get along with/or at least be able to defend itself against a cbs?

nycbob

really? bc i had a pistol in the past, but one day i saw my cbs holding him in his claw eating him.

renogaw

that's weird...
pistols are generally diggers and below substrate dwellers, where as CBS shouldnt be.
is it possible the CBS got him during a molt?

nycbob

maybe. i hv tried 2 pistols in the past, and both times the pistols didnt make it past 2 weeks.

renogaw

CBS are known to be devils... maybe it had some coctail sauce on the side and wanted some pistol shrimp to go with it

spanko

Just from my own experiences Ren I have bought small clams like this in (3) the past only to have them die within a one month time. When I finally go an answer on my questioning of why the thing that stuck out to me is that anything smaller than 3" would need some supplemental feeding. Took this to heart and bought a 3.5" T. corcea and have had it now since August of 08.
Do not know what supplemental feeding would consist of or how often, I just thought I would share my experience with you.

renogaw

appreciate it!
i know not to squirt stuff right at it, but i'll up my rod's food feeding schedule a tad.

renogaw

just in the water right? not directly at them?
i had to move the clam today, that darn pistol shriimp buried it in the sand over night :(