New Pico owner!

b00st3d

Unfortunately we have a LFS in town that is about to close his doors. I went by because a local club member said he had good healthy livestock and nice corals and good pricing. He was kinda skinny on his fish selection but did have some very nice corals. He had this 3g pico setup on his counter by the register... I was asking him if he was going to try to continue from home and he said he couldn't. SO I asked if he was going to at least take home the pico. He said he wasn't but was taking a 55 and some select coral and he was going to sell everythign else.
He said " If someone was to give me $110 i'd let em take the whole thing just like it sits."
So... I now have a 3gallon pico with about 4lbs of LR a 1.5" bed of LS, some pink pallies, 3 different color zoas, some zenia, 3 snails, a six line wrasse along with a heater, the light (18w pc) and a hob filter with 4 extra filters.
Sorry for the small pictures, these are from the cell phone.

fenrir

Awesome deal! I have the same tank and love it. It is not as hard as I thought to keep it going. Just keep an eye on evaporation, I have to top my tank off everyday. I keep duncans,Rics,Mushrooms and a mated pair of Pistol shrimp in my tank. Also if you have the original pump and HOB I would highly recomend replacing it. The propeller in the pump spins on a piece of plastic and if any bit of sand gets caught in the pump it will shut off and snap the propeller. I had the pump replaced three times before I replaced the whole HOB. Aqua clear has a 10Gallon HOB that gets about 10 more gph and with some small sanding of the lid for the tank fits very nicely on the back of the tank. It also has a metal propeller stick.
If you have any questions about keeping up the tank let me know, I have had mine up since march!

b00st3d

I actually got this one for my wife. I'm building a custom 6 gallon setup for myself.

Some of the zenia on the right side didn't like the trip to well, but it should all look good tomorrow. I drained some of the water and moved it to it's new home at my wifes office and then refilled it with some new sw. So it basically got a water change during the move.

grabbitt

Congrats on the new purchase, but you really need to get that six-line out of there. 3 gallons is way too small. I wonder how many times the owner had to pick it up off the floor after jumping out of the tank when he was at the store. It's probably why he had it right there at the front counter.

b00st3d

There is a lid on the tank, so i don't see the six line jumping out. I do plan to change it out down the road though.

hops523

Its not a matter of him jumping out, its a matter of him being too big,and there not being enough room in the tank.

A

azul1994

Sixline wrasses need a 30 gallon tank. A 20 gallon long minimum, because they are very active fish that never stop swimming. I would suggest getting rid of the sixline ASAP

grabbitt

Originally Posted by b00st3d
http:///forum/post/2619147
There is a lid on the tank, so i don't see the six line jumping out. I do plan to change it out down the road though.
Even so. Lid or not, that sixline should be moved. As someone else has stated, they are indeed a very active fish. I would get it out of there as soon as possible. Otherwise, very nice pico. I have a 3 gallon myself that has been up for a little over 1.5 years

melissa v.

yes for what my opinion is worth, you need to get him out of that tank, its cruel, and your tank is very very nice otherwise, good job !!!

b00st3d

Just so you all know, the wrasse is now in his new home in the 55g we have set up at her work. We added another 40lbs of LR yesterday and moved the fish after everything was stacked in a way we liked. The 4 blue legs added to the pico went to work cleaning up the algae.